The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C300 that im having an issue with- the hour hand a 24hr subdial hands not working and wont reset to zero
any thoughts-
Everything else seems to work ok
C300 Q00842

·
Registered
25,216 Posts
First thing, Full charge, Refer to the manual for any answers, Or have a look under the hood and get a visual, You probably have to get in there anyway.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing, Full charge, Refer to the manual for any answers, Or have a look under the hood and get a visual, You probably have to get in there anyway.
The C300 is battery powered and it has anew cell- ive performed the full reset and zeroed all hands but when it comes to zero the hour hand it does not move

·
Registered
25,216 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is...when the battery was changed did something get in or maybe damage during battery replacement. Had you checked the battery before install ?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Broken plastic hour wheel was the verdict on my 7txx. Not sure if this applies here. Dead stop of the hour hand at 0 can't go forward at that point.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
After doing a full reset, zeroing, and setting the digital time, the analog part doesn't sync? Have you performed all the setting steps correctly. Asking since I was just changing the battery a few weeks ago and recall that a few googled sites with instructions had them wrong.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive done a full reset but when attempting to zero the hands all is well until I try to zero the hour hand - it doesn't move with presses of the top right button (as it should)

Crown out to 1st click, hold top left for 3 seconds to get the digital to show all 8's

·
Registered
400 Posts
You'll have to pop that train bridge off (take your time and use Sir Alan's guides) and see if the rotors are making contact with the wheels. Of course, this is provided the hour hand did work earlier. There are a total of three coils; one for the UTC, one for the hour hand/24 hour dial and one for the minute hand. If this is a new project and the previous condition is unknown, swap the coils around and see if there's an improvement. One thing I've learnt is, always make sure the wheels align with the rotor before placing the bridge back on. Also take care with the bridge as it's plastic.
The buzzer is no big deal and can be replaced easily through cousins. I'd be more worried if one of the coils are bad as you'll have to source a donor.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you - yes it’s a new project-
It might be a little too in-depth for me
I’ll look at siralans posts or maybe to to find a doner
If I do find one I may try to swap over the dial and hands
Thanks for the input
It’s a nice condition so I’d like to save it and they seem to be harder to come by

·
Registered
400 Posts
thank you - yes it’s a new project-
It might be a little too in-depth for me
I’ll look at siralans posts or maybe to to find a doner
If I do find one I may try to swap over the dial and hands
Thanks for the input
It’s a nice condition so I’d like to save it and they seem to be harder to come by
It's not that complicated but be prepared to spend more time on it than on mechanical movments as most parts including the baseplate is plastic. A complete replacement movement is about 60 pounds at cousins now so rebuilding the current movement is the way to go. Post a picture if possible.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi Lewie - I suppose you already came across this thread (it's the one by Sir Alan, referenced above), but lots of good pics showing the gear train layout, and also the number of stepping motors (fewer than I would've guessed!): Citizen C300 Navihawk Restore

I found a couple of other threads here on SCWF, and also on Watchuseek, but this one seems to be the most comprehensive (and picture-rich!).

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have thanks - trouble is it’s a nice peice and the tear down looks too complicated for me
I’m thinking f a donor Accurist as a solution

·
Registered
121 Posts
I work on the C300 movement quite often, one of the most common problems with the hour wheel is a broken stem on the intermediate gear between the rotor and the hour wheel. Getting a new wheel is hit or miss with COA, part number is 017-145, they're about 3.00 USD. The other culprit is normally a broken wire on the coil. They are easy to check, should be around 1.30 kohms. Nothing else to it. Just the coil, rotor, the pinion gear, and the minute gear. If you're trying to work on this without proper magnification you're going to do more harm than good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks Jay- here’s the watch and it’s in good condition
Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
Lovely! Just out of curiosity, did this have battery leakage/corrosion when you removed the back? I repaired one for my instructor whose watch had tiny crystalised green muck on
hour wheel which stopped the hour wheel and 24 hour hand from moving. I assumed it to be battery corrosion but he had always replaced the battery and changed the gaskets on time. This is the side that's directly underneath the dial and LCD and a complete strip down is in order to clean these wheels.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have some movement- the hand has moved some but it really hit and miss but is moving at times when trying to zero so I presume the coil is ok
Battery issue? I only have one

1 - 20 of 38 Posts