The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Im new to the forum and Citizen watches.

I have been repairing and restoring watches for quite some years, used to only work on U-Boat watches but got introduced to Citizin watches a while ago when a friend asked me to see if i could get his Promaster Aqualand back to life.

Started to look around and fell in love with the diver watches.

Recently picked up a C022 (two tone) as a project, the watch was not functioning at all and offcourse i hoped it would be a simple battery swap.
Tried new batteries but still no functions at all, started to take the watch apart and noticed problems with the PCB.
One of the batteries had leaked and damaged the board, gave it a good clean and two connection traces where completely gone.

Repaired the traces, reassembled and the digital part worked!
The movement was still not moving so took off the rear movement bridge but did not see any problems, only some old grease.
After a good clean and finally getting the bridge back on i tried again and the movement ran flawless and keeps time exactly as the digital part.

Now i am stripping the case as i want to get this refinished.
The problem i am running into now it that i do not know how to remove the sensor, the sensor cover is off but do not know how to get sensor out.
Thought i better try and ask here before messing up the sensor as it was working as far as i could tell.

Hope someone here can help me out, thanks for reading!

(Tried search, YT, Google but could not find it)

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I think it pushes out from inside, after detaching the outer grille. A cross section view is in the patent.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply and the document!

According to the drawing it indeed should push out from the inside. But there is another ring on top that is not shown in the drawing. When looking in the watch case it seems the sensor is in some kind of bushing that could be pushed into the case.

New here so do not know yet how to upload pictures, looking into that now!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very difficult to find parts for that one, and a new depth sensor is part of the new circuit when ordering parts, but Citizen has discontinued it. Maybe it's time to shame them into producing a 1000 of those, not like it would be a huge inconvenience for them, all they have to do is call their supplier, who more than likely still has all the dies etc. gathering dust somewhere.

Aloha from The Territories, and stay well over there

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Here you go this might help you

Aloha ,
So you got one of these and doing good with the repairs.
This will help you do the ...... SENSOR PART.

Note:
You will have to find something that will fit the Sensor from the inside back to press it out after you remove all the ....Outer Parts.

You will probably have to find or make a close ...... Fitting (Non-Metal )... Tool for this work.
1- Remove the .....Sensor Grill very slowly but do not press the tool into the sensor. Just prop it off.
2 - After you remove .... The Sensor Grill the Press Ring that hold it in can be pressed out from the
Inside along with the Sensor as .... One Unit.
Picture -6 ..... Is The Whole Sensor when it is out.

Find some thing that perfectly ....[ Fits the Sensor from the inside snug to the inner walls ].
If you do not use a .... Perfect Fit Tool the ....Nylon Will get Damaged as it comes out ....OK.
NOTE:
Just put a little .... PRESSURE from the inside and it should pop right out.
Re-assembly in the .... Reverse way ....BUT Remember that you have to press it back in
...... Straight Down the same way it came out....... ( No Glue or Grease should be in the finish work.)

Picture - 6 ..... DO NOT DAMAGE THE NYLON GASKET ........ as you place it back in.
Make sure when you place it back in that ..... You use a tight fitting Tool again.
The .... Locking Ring has to be done the same way but ....
The Tool has to ......... FIT THE RING Very GOOD ... so as not to Damage it also as you
..... Press Fit It In.
NOTE:
Place ....Sensor in the Case Hole , press in gently.
Place the Sealing Ring evenly and snug.
Place Grill back on and check the side so it crimps tight. If not the edges will not hold the Grill On.

Louis

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the very clear description and information!
Will give it another try to press it out from the inside.

Do you also happen to know if the sensor has to be placed back exactly in the same direction or can it be rotated 180 degrees? Will mark the sensor as it sits now to be sure.

Also the cover is just glued into place?
Do not want to loose this!

Looking at the pictures mine is a little different on the inside, the corner where the sensor sits is a round bush that is pressed in the case but i think it would. Will check the serial number to determin the age of the watch.

Will place an update if it worked!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked like a charm!

Made a press out of wood that i could fix into my crystal press.
Without to much force i could press it out from the inside.

Will start refinishing and hope the crystal and straps come in soon.
Will post some pictures once its finished!

Thanks for the great help.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thanks for the very clear description and information!
Will give it another try to press it out from the inside.

Do you also happen to know if the sensor has to be placed back exactly in the same direction or can it be rotated 180 degrees? Will mark the sensor as it sits now to be sure.

Also the cover is just glued into place?
Do not want to loose this!

Looking at the pictures mine is a little different on the inside, the corner where the sensor sits is a round bush that is pressed in the case but i think it would. Will check the serial number to determine the age of the watch.

Will place an update if it worked!

Question :
Were you successful when .... Totally Working The Movement Section.... ??

If you look closely to the .... Sensor Grill Edges you will notice that it is a .... Crimp Style to contain
the Grill. You might have to ... Gently Tap it all around to ...... Hold the Grill Tight.
NOTE:
If you will Notice That The Grill should be a little ..... Con-Cave in Shape at .. The Top and
will be Higher in the Center.
That is so when it is placed in .... And (Gently Pressed Down), it will ..... Lock itself into the Edges.

Never had a Case that .... The Grill did not lock into. BUT ... If you do have one that will not Lock
You can use some kind of ...... Metal Glue that will hold it but will be able to release it if need to later.
That is because the ...Locking Ring is made of ..... Brass Material and very Brittle..

Use a .... Nylon Little Hammer and see if it works to do that.
Always Remember :
As you remove part ..... always put them back the way you took them out that is ... The Best Policy.
NOTE: Marking it was a very good move to do.

Be very careful with that very important ...... NYLON GASKET that keeps it ........ Water Proof Inside.

Louis / LongBike

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
____
Answering Your Questions Again :

Question :
Were you successful when .... Totally Working The Movement Section.... ??

If you look closely to the .... Sensor Grill Edges you will notice that it is a .... Crimp Style to contain
the Grill. You might have to ... Gently Tap it all around to ...... Hold the Grill Tight.
NOTE:
If you will Notice That The Grill should be a little ..... Con-Cave in Shape at .. The Top and
will be Higher in the Center.
That is so when it is placed in .... And (Gently Pressed Down), it will ..... Lock itself into the Edges.

Never had a Case that .... The Grill did not lock into. BUT ... If you do have one that will not Lock
You can use some kind of ...... Metal Glue that will hold it but will be able to release it if need to later.
That is because the ...Locking Ring is made of ..... Brass Material and very Brittle..

Use a .... Nylon Little Hammer and see if it works to do that.
Always Remember :
As you remove part ..... always put them back the way you took them out that is ... The Best Policy.
NOTE: Marking it was a very good move to do.

Be very careful with that very important ...... NYLON GASKET that keeps it ........ Water Proof Inside.

Louis / LongBike
3/25/2020 posting
Aloha Whobby ,
Hey ....did you get your Depth Sensor fixed ....?
Just was wondering because i was just thinking about it.
Louis / LongBike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts