The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello SCWF!
I recently completed this Cal.3801 powered Citizen dress watch. This was bought by my father in the early 80s in Singapore and it was his daily watch till the late 2000s when the original circuit died. A replacement was sourced and installed by my watchmaker back then but that too died recently. Since he was really attached to this model, I thought I'd do it up!
As luck would have it, I found a NOS Miyota 3W00 movement last year and had it sent to a friend in Canada who brought it for me later. The first hiccup while rebuilding the watch was hand heights...the 3801 has taller posts than the 3800s and so a partial stripdown was needed.

The dial was a bit tired but was useable. I cleaned it up as much as possible but the chapter ring was glued by my watchsmith back in the day and there was some excess glue near the 6 o'clock marker. This model has white accents on the chrome indices but a few have worn away. I didn't want to make things worse by trying to paint a delicate line on a tiny index so I let it be.

The hands were originally white with chrome but the paint was scratched and the chrome tarnished. I painted them white, polished the chrome and relumed them along with my 9119 hands last year. The results are satisfactory! On a side note, I love this style of hands but I think it's a predominantly Japanese design. Any idea on what they're called? I'd love a set for my Ti C300.

The case was badly corroded (dad wore this jogging for 25 years! He really should've bought himself a 6309 back then:grin:) but since I couldn't find a replacement, I refinished this. Sadly the original 'pewter' finish had to be sanded away during refinishing but it looks much better now. The blank space on the front originally had a small plaque which read "CITIZEN quartz" complete with two tiny screws on each side. Funky!

I didn't refinish the case completely since it had deep marks and I didn't want to overpolish it.
Here it is next to my 9119-

Dad is pleased at getting his old watch back, but he has been advised not to wear it on his morning walks/exercise rounds :grin:
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Looks like you did a lot of improvising and thinking outside the box. Nice work with a great outcome. Watch looks excellent and I am sure your Dad is pleased to be able to wear this piece again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you did a lot of improvising and thinking outside the box. Nice work with a great outcome. Watch looks excellent and I am sure your Dad is pleased to be able to wear this piece again.
Thanks John! I would've preferred the satin pewter finish but it wasn't very pretty all scratched up! Shame about the dial because this is a rather handsome piece! I can see why dad selected this over the other offerings back in the day:grin:
And he is very pleased at the newly done up watch, his 73rd birthday is in December so it'll be a fitting birthday present!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts