The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Collectors,

May I ask what is the major difference (in horological terms, not esthetic) between chronographs with 3-6-9 Sub-dial and 6-9-12 subdial?

I see 3-6-9 subdials tend to be priced higher than the other version. Is that a wrong perception or it is actually the case?

Seikojin

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sometimes it's an indication of a different (more exclusive) movement but other times it just means one watch is more desirable for some reason. Could be anything really. It depends on the specific watches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 3-6-9 configuration is the traditional one and it´s called "tricompax" is the running seconds subdial is at 9 o´clock.

The 6-9-12 in its original shape 6-12 (no running seconds) was introduced by Seiko with the 6138 because they wanted to deliver a day date chronograph (the infamous Seiko 5 concept). The 6138 became the Swiss´benchmark when they developed the 7750 first and then the Lemania 5100, all day date chronograph.

For me this configuration is more modern but justified just if the watch has the day date function, otherwise I prefer the tricompax version.

In order to supply Breitling and other makers a tricompax chrono in the early 2000s ETA has developed a new version of the 7750, the 7753 that just has date and it´s set by a pusher, as far as I know the first application was the auto Navitimer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for your inputs.

esthetically i tend to prefer 3-6-9 subdials though. Perhaps it gives people a calmer feeling with the (pattern) weighs more firmly on the ground (at 6) while the other is more tilted to one side.

thanks again folks. happy collecting!
Seikojin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts