The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a few models that have been high on my wish list of classic digitals for a while have chromed base metal cases. The Casio CFX-200 and GM-20. The Seiko C515. These are not cheap watches with good examples at over $300.
I think I've cooled on these and may save my money for something else. Too many photos of rusted cases have made me weary. I might even say that the shift to base metal is dividing line between watches that are designed to be innovative to watches that are designed to be cheap.
What do you think, would you collect base metal watches in good condition? Am I depriving myself of some great watches if I don't?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
From experience - not, with time chrome watches look bad, with coatings (in vintage) only "gold cap" is acceptable.
The new coatings look bad on the background of the old watch face....

edit

Diashield in new MM and others is also weak.(
Micro-scratches cannot be polished)
Virtually irreparable outside of Japan, and as far as I know they exchange the watch case ....

·
Registered
808 Posts
For watches in new condition and that will seldom be worn, I have no problem with base metal. For daily beaters, I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Depends on the metal used, 'base metal' just means it's not a precious metal.

·
Registered
665 Posts
On vintage watches I don’t have an issue with it, since that’s just how most watches were made back in the day; if it was not precious metal then it was plated brass. And it’s not something that was limited to cheap, “disposable” watches, as I’ve owned many watches that were pricey in their day which had base metal cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Buying a new watch, no. Buying a vintage watch there's no choice if it's plated. This also a major buying/selling point for a vintage watch. The value depends largely on the condition of the plating. Same as a solid SS case being all dinged up vs one that is not.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
On vintage watches I don’t have an issue with it, since that’s just how most watches were made back in the day; if it was not precious metal then it was plated brass. And it’s not something that was limited to cheap, “disposable” watches, as I’ve owned many watches that were pricey in their day which had base metal cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says it all :)

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buying a new watch, no. Buying a vintage watch there's no choice if it's plated. This also a major buying/selling point for a vintage watch. The value depends largely on the condition of the plating. Same as a solid SS case being all dinged up vs one that is not.
Indeed. I think where it becomes a big drawback for me is in the 80s. At that point it was just cost saving. My cheap Casio Marlin is a commodity watch for sure, but it's stainless, and that makes it feel like a quality product. The sought after CFX-200, on the other hand... I think the base metal case really cheapens it, and that's why I don't think I'll buy one, even thought it's otherwise a great watch

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts