The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to my first Black Tie event since retiring from the military after nearly 30 years.

A new tux is ready to go vs. always having had a uniform.
Cummerbund vs vest, shawl vs peaked collar, and correct turn down collar vs. white tie collar with black tie have very easy, correct choices and that is not the issue.

The most important issue is what watch to wear.

I have always had a "non issue military watch" starting with my first Seiko I got at the PX as a young Infantryman with a Ranger Battalion.

However, I have decided some choices such as a Marathon Chronograph or JSAR or Fortis B42 are too big to be discrete during this event.

I think my Seiko large 6105 or 6309s let alone the larger ones are a touch too big as well.

My trusty old Sub (I prefer my previous generation sub and SD to the new generation) or a "vintage NOS" Watchco SM300 are the choices I have narrowed it down to.

If my Sub had been a 1680 I think I would pick that.

Since the SM300 is more traditional acrylic and unframed indices I think I am going to go with that.

An 1171 bracelet.

I felt some watches are just to big for black or white tie.
I considered a Zeno Explorer, Seiko 6139 (6138 too big), Speedmaster Professional, Seiko Navigators, etc.
but I just am a die hard dive watch guy. Got to have my bezel. The need for a dive watch really weeds out some great choices.

I also considered a neat Fortis vintage MarineMaster. or one of the earlier 6105s or 62MAS.

The dive watch, vintage style, and military history, and size desires led me to narrow it down to a sub, the SM300, or a 6105-8000.

·
Registered
530 Posts
For a black tie event a very low key watch with leather strap is appropriate. No sport or stainless clunky type watches go with that.

·
Special Member
3,359 Posts
For a black tie event a very low key watch with leather strap is appropriate. No sport or stainless clunky type watches go with that.
I agree. Here are mine. Sadly non-Seiko. Although I could swap out the beads-of-rice bracelet on my 6602 for a black lizard strap and that could work.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a very had time enjoying my small non-dive watches.

I have beautiful little seahorses, seikomatics, weekdaters, etc.

My previous black and white tie events were in the uniform equivalent so less scrutiny on the watches.

·
Special Member
7,224 Posts
If I understand the OP correctly, you want us to weigh in on which watch you currently own that you should wear to your black tie event.You also state you want to wear a dive watch with rotating bezel. And not too too big.

Now, the point of the thread being what others will think - (of course we all know the odds are few if not no one actually will, other than yourself and spouse) then no matter what every one of us Seiko-philes in SCWF thinks, the observer is most likely to under-appreciate the Seiko name plate.

I'd go with the Omega Seamaster SM300. You're already leaning that way. It is formal, elegant for a diver, and in your pristine bear-NOS state, perfect for the occasion.

One last note: I agree with previous posters, true black tie suggests a black leather strap model, but OP doesn't prioritize that. I wouldn't fear that at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Black tie should be a precious metal watch with a black leather strap.

But I'd stick to something with a nice leather strap and low key. No more than 3 hands + date.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Omega best choice with what you have. But then again a 6309 on a black strap would be good too.

·
Special Member
5,175 Posts
If I understand the OP correctly, you want us to weigh in on which watch you currently own that you should wear to your black tie event.You also state you want to wear a dive watch with rotating bezel. And not too too big.

Now, the point of the thread being what others will think - (of course we all know the odds are few if not no one actually will, other than yourself and spouse) then no matter what every one of us Seiko-philes in SCWF thinks, the observer is most likely to under-appreciate the Seiko name plate.

I'd go with the Omega Seamaster SM300. You're already leaning that way. It is formal, elegant for a diver, and in your pristine bear-NOS state, perfect for the occasion.

One last note: I agree with previous posters, true black tie suggests a black leather strap model, but OP doesn't prioritize that. I wouldn't fear that at all.
Completely agree except; I think the op mentioned a speedy pro. On croc strap it would be my choice. Not too loud (screaming: look at me) just right IMO.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some beautiful watches have been posted.

I did go with the SM300.

I saw many other larger watches, from modern subs to items well past untasteful size.

I saw things I consider on par with my SS SM300 watch,
such as subs or modern seamasters on the wrist, to notched lapels, pleated pants, and white tie collared shirts, not quite correct but done wrong so much they have become acceptable.

I saw incorrect but "trendy" things such as different colored ties, vests, and cumberbunds, double breasted jackets, and straight ties.
And many just wrong and not trendy things such as no cumberbunds or waistcoat, unpleated shirts, pleated or unpleated shirts without studs, studs started at the top button under the tie and being short one on the bottom, etc. so I think my wife will forgive me wearing a small, vintage design dive watch. It was not a military event, so

I do not think I could/should have worn service equivalent as a retiree, although I saw retirees there in mess whites dress blues.

·
Special Member
5,175 Posts
I would go with single breasted, notch lapel tux. Matched with white cut-away collar (is what an English spread collar is called here), French cuffs, and slim solid black tie. Or, same jacket plus plain white tux shirt with stud buttons and black bow tie. Plain, non pleated trousers if you're slim, pleated if you're not. And of course, your smp. But I would still go with the speedy on croc leather with deployment clasp, just imo. By the way, what branch of military? I'm a U.S. NAVY veteran.

·
Registered
309 Posts
6105-811x on Super Oyster....looks all the business....sported it many a time with black tie....and why not? It's a classic piece that looks classy on a SS bracelet and perfectly at home next to a cuff link. :eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
You wouldn't wear a tux to go diving, so why would you wear a dive watch to go "tuxxing," if I may?

I think the best answer is "no watch" since, by its nature, the event should not require the need to worry about the time. Sometimes the right tool for the job is to leave the tools at home!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts