The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of bracelets off EBay from sellers in China. The 6138-0030 bracelet looked fine, but the links were essentially fixed and could not be removed, despite the fact it had the arrows on the underside indicating where to push the 'innards' to separate the links. The second one is a AM bracelet for an Omega Planet Ocean that looks great in photo's (again) but the holes in the solid end links are not lined up with with the lug holes to mount the bracelet.

I keep re-learning this, but a whole lot of stuff out of China looks right, but doesn't function right.

·
Special Member
6,509 Posts
Well I totally agree. If you can keep the total cost with shipping to $5-$8 you can't complain. I've done that a few times (sometimes from India).

I have an incoming that cost me $3 - how can I complain ???

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I totally agree. If you can keep the total cost with shipping to $5-$8 you can't complain. I've done that a few times (sometimes from India).

I have an incoming that cost me $3 - how can I complain ???
Well, if it's too big to fit your wrist, and can't be adjusted, you have nothing. At a cost.

·
Special Member
6,509 Posts
Well, if it's too big to fit your wrist, and can't be adjusted, you have nothing. At a cost.
Ha! Sorry to hear that. I missed the point. My bad.

I used to sell million dollar systems and customers would say 'That's expensive.' We'd say 'If you spend less and it doesn't work, that's much more expensive."

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a brand new bracelet from China that I ordered for the Blue Mako (didn't like the stock bracelet). Before the bracelet arrived, I returned the Mako for a refund to Amazon. Now I have this new bracelet – still in its package. Didn't know you couldn't resize it. Oh well, it was only $12.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of bracelets off EBay from sellers in China. The 6138-0030 bracelet looked fine, but the links were essentially fixed and could not be removed, despite the fact it had the arrows on the underside indicating where to push the 'innards' to separate the links. The second one is a AM bracelet for an Omega Planet Ocean that looks great in photo's (again) but the holes in the solid end links are not lined up with with the lug holes to mount the bracelet.

I keep re-learning this, but a whole lot of stuff out of China looks right, but doesn't function right.
No one in the world can duplicate America's Tool and Die molds.
there is a specific Law to this world wide America patterns have specific
Edges, sizes, and all that has to do with it. That's why they continue to say
..... " Buy what is made in America ". There is nothing that can touch or pattern's and copyrights. Our Steel is different and a lot more things
because we have certain quality standards others can no touch.
They can copy but when it coms to fitting things and sizing they are way off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Agree on aftermarket stuff but there are great oem bracelets that are made in China and arewesome.
1. Just bought a 6309 straight end bracelet and it arrived in Chinese packaging. Feels unfinished despite being solid.

2- considering a Nixon straight end bracelet. Either 22 or 23mm and file it .0.5mm on each side.
Figure something different for my 6309. I know these feel pretty decent.
(that's the Corporal SS with a 23mm bracelet)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
well that is my worry with going with aftermarket bands...i have been trying to find a very heavy duty 20mm curved end band and all i can seem to find is ones that seem to be very reasonable but i am not sure i will not have problems like the earlier posts...who does everyone use for high quality bands?...like nato's and heavy stainless bands?...i really love the original stainless bands ....but i would love to find a nice engineer too...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

I've found that with these you can still re-size them by using one of THESE:-

to push out the pins that are on the links marked with the arrows. With a link or links removed the pin can be tapped back in using a very light hammer, simples

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Does it have to be "the chinese" again? I buy at Yobokies and the quality is above reproach. I would even say, it is great. Do you think wjeans bracelets are not produced in china?

So maybe it's cheap AM bracelets that just don't cut it. You won't find an US produced bracelet for that price and if you would, guess what? The quality would be identical.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
well i do not think it has anything to do where they are produced...it has everything to do with the quality..i have bought from just about every corner of the world and it seems like it all depends on who makes it....i have found terrible quality from everywhere too...it is sad that anyone would try and make a copy that does not function like it should...that is what we should focus on...God Bless John...poor quality control and putting profits over quality is sadly becoming the normal when it comes to certain items..i so wish someone would take up production of the items we all love ..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't put an Omega planet ocean on an AM bracelet.

I know original bracelets are £300 but on a quality watch like that I wouldn't put anything else on it.
However. I am wearing what I would think is Chinese made? A brilliant strapcode super engineer 2 on my 6309 7049 and it one of the best bracelets I have.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Of late I have bought a couple of very cheaply priced Shark mesh bracelets which I imagine were made in China and I am really impressed, wearing one now and I honestly can not fault it.
Likewise John, though I have had to resort to removing a row of links off of each one with a cutting wheel, in a Dremel, so that they fit my wrist :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found that with these you can still re-size them by using one of THESE:-

to push out the pins that are on the links marked with the arrows. With a link or links removed the pin can be tapped back in using a very light hammer, simples

Well, that won't work in either of my examples. He holes being shot in the wrong place in the end link can't be helped with that tool. The other issue I had, with a 6138 bracelet, can't be fixed because the links look right, but actually don't have the Seiko style of removable links, so you'd need to bend part to remove links, which is bogus.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have bought a couple bracelets and straps for cheap. I figure if it is under $10.00 how can I lose. I have been pleased with the merchandise I received. This is a solid stainless steel bracelet with curved end pieces of which I successfully removed a couple links to size it.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been able to resize one of these bracelets using a re-sizing tool pictured above. But, one of the bracelet pins was so tight it actually bent the tool's pin a bit.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
These days it seems there are more cheap knock off's of just about any item you can think of. Even socks! Yup! I have very bad knee and hip joints so good quality padded heel sock help me. A couple of years ago mu Pops when he was alive though he was doing m e favor buy buying me a bag of nice new sock from some trunk vendor because they were so inexpensive. I open the bag up and put a pair on one day and they were nothing special kind of thin but they worked. When I went to take them all out of the bag and put them away I found that out of the 12 sock that were in the bag no two socks were the same length. A couple of the socks were even as short as 8 inches in total length and the ends were sewn sideways! I have no idea where they came from and I never told my Dad about it. I just used them as rags to dust and for cleaning. It's hard these days to get good quality anything. I spend $65 dollars on a garden hose made by Goodyear that has huge solid brass ends and weight a ton because every time someone left the hose out after washing the cars or working in the garden the next person would come along and run it over and that would be the end of it and those hoses still cost $25 dollars and were labeled as heavy duty. Seems like you have to spend big bucks these days to anything of quality it seems.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have bought a couple bracelets and straps for cheap. I figure if it is under $10.00 how can I lose. I have been pleased with the merchandise I received. This is a solid stainless steel bracelet with curved end pieces of which I successfully removed a couple links to size it.
I have bought a couple of bracelets that look like yours from Wal-Mart for $10.
Honestly they weren't THAT bad and the end links expanded from 16mm to 20 mm .
But then , I've used Velcro in a pinch ..

·
Special Member
6,509 Posts
I find that sometimes these fleabay cheapies can be ok, or garbage. I've had issues removing links that were definitely intended to be removable.

Also find that if they are rough on the wrist then filing the edges ever so slightly to form a chamfer can greatly improve the wearability.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts