The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Why is it madness? 8009?

Rolex empty boxes are sold everyday. $250 for the newer ones.

Hernán
This post is written in perfectly good spanglish

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't think the price is crazy given how much someone with a stellar 6105 would want it, but I'm most surprised because I am fairly sure it's a common box not limited to the 6105. I have a NOS Actus given to a Pepsi exec that had the exact same box, I think. RicardoPalomino and I were discussing offline and he said he has an Actus with it too. I couldn't have spent more than $75 on that Actus at auction, so just goes to show how much information can make the difference I guess.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
What's a "Uemura diver's"? LOL!

If calling the venerable 6309 "The Turtle" wasn't enough, now you have the 6105 being called "Uemura", WTF with these people?

BTW, seeing how much an empty box reaches these days is one of the very reasons why I'm forcing myself to slowly steer away from this collecting hobby. And the title for this thread is totally apropriate: it is a madness, indeed.

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
It's definitely not limited to the 6105 divers, but it's not a common thing to find. I'm not surprised at all, I've seen 'em go for more....

Ephemera like boxes and papers can be very difficult to find (let alone in great condition), and are very desirable. Supply and demand....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

If calling the venerable 6309 "The Turtle" wasn't enough, now you have the 6105 being called "Uemura", WTF with these people?

BTW, seeing how much an empty box reaches these days is one of the very reasons why I'm forcing myself to slowly steer away from this collecting hobby. And the title for this thread is totally apropriate: it is a madness, indeed.
The 6105-8110 was worn by Japanese explorer Naomi Uemura. Many Japanese watch collectors know this and gave the watch nickname "Seiko Diver Uemura".

·
Registered
931 Posts
Brand New "Patek Philippe" Watch Box Set! - $1250 (Oahu)

" but hurry , this won't be here too long "
This Ad has been running in craigslist for a few months now and updated frequently...

Screen shot 2014-10-03 at 6.21.36 AM.png

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

It was a .... 6105 Seiko diver watch known to the people in Japan named after a famous " Adventurer, Explorer and Mountaineer from Japan".

He was stranded on a mountain climbing expedition and searchers went out and they could not find him. Lost and stranded in a cave he wrote
some notes in a little book and that's all they found.
He wore a ( 6105 Seiko Diver watch ) while doing his adventures, and they nicknamed it.
He was a man that did his adventurer's alone and a very good professional
at doing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I paid £67 for mine from the same seller ,he sold one for £150 ish a few weeks back and another for £130 ish, IMO the boxes are far scarcer than the watches that came in them, I'd happily have paid the price this one went for.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

Chris,

Great to see you around again!

At least Uemura was a real person, unlike Captain Willard.

It's a shame Seiko doesn't name their watches. It would spare us these nicknames, e.g."Monster", "Arnie", "Tuna".

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
By coincidence, I found a Seiko watch box in a drawer last week It's marked on the bottom 'E-BM26 Box made in Japan' I think it must have contained a Seiko 5 automatic that I bought in the 1970's, strangely I've found the box but have mislaid the watch. :confused:
Watch is similar to the one below, hopefully it will turn up again soon.:(

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
:sigh:, and :iagree:....... with you Selym.
The " 6105 used in that ..." Apocalypse Now " , movie did not do any gesture for that movie.:s_laugh:
If they made a movie about such Men in the Vietnam War era. ,they should least have used
a ....... ( 6217-8000- (8001 ) - Seiko ) to have more reality for it.

Capt. Willard only wore it, but it did not Authenticate to the purpose of the movie. Myself ............ :idisagree:.
The River Patrol and Army did not have such a watch at that time era to be accurately used for that movie.
If any dis-agreement to this posting ..........
" Ask Me I was There ". :72::idisagree:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The 6105-8110 was worn by Japanese explorer Naomi Uemura. Many Japanese watch collectors know this and gave the watch nickname "Seiko Diver Uemura".
Well, I am (or was) a japanese dive watch collector and have never heard of that one, before. :undecided:

So I guess from now on we all have to call the 6309-7040 the "Seiko Diver Harris", right?! :p:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, I am (or was) a japanese dive watch collector and have never heard of that one, before. :undecided:

So I guess from now on we all have to call the 6309-7040 the "Seiko Diver Harris", right?! :p:eek::rolleyes:

I have an Ed Harris wedding ring. It's really hard to remove.

Myles

1 - 20 of 47 Posts