The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love looking at macro photos of watches, or looking at them with a loupe, and trying to spot the differences between watches that are ostensibly the same but turn out to not be.

In my latest attempt to understand the minutiae of Pogue collecting, I noticed something not seen previously. On a silver 6030R-dial RESIST from May 1972, the chapter ring has a different font to others I've seen previously, but I have now observed other similar era watches with the same font. There's also a series of noticeable - in the right light - circular ridges on the black chapter ring that came with my R RESIST.

On the first example, the 1 and 2 have a distinct cut-away when the serif of the 1 meets the body and where the neck of the 2 meets the base. The 3 doesn't really look radically different, but the 4 has a Maltese-cross style centre and the 5 also has a slight cut where the veritcal stroke meets the base.

I've seen the same on a later non-RESIST R-dial silver, and a 1975 Aussie yellow Pogue with slightly faded chapter ring, but on T dial silvers, I've only seen blockier text, and I've not spotted the fancier style on any yellow or blue faced Pogues either. Can anyone show me differently?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Awesome photography Ewan. I will take a look at my collection and see. My to-be-restored silver Resist T-dial did not have the fonts you showed on its rather faded chapter ring however. I'll wrastle some photos later.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Very astute stuff there Ewand. And great photography too.

Seeing how these are pad printed wouldn't there naturally be changes over time as new pads were needed over the course of time?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
whew, hard for me to quantify because i've purchased a lot of NOS black indicator rings and swapped them out onto the blue and silver dialed versions... very interesting thread for sure.

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
There's also a series of noticeable - in the right light - circular ridges on the black chapter ring that came with my R RESIST.
I have also noticed the circular ridges on the original rings. It is my understanding that the new, very good aftermarket rings (I've never seen one in person) do not have the ridges.

Seeing the macro photos of the numbers is fascinating. The numbers on both the 6139 Tachy and Indicator Ring are so tiny I can't see them very well even with a magnifying visor. Thanks for sharing the macro photos :) The Maltese Font is so much more interesting than the Block Font IMO.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Ok. I've got two resists with the malteese cross and a ring from what I believe was a 75 that looks dodgy under closer scrutiny.
Posting "40" and "10"
Hopefully we can use this to weed out the fakes if the aftermarket ones are less detailed.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ok, here is my black indicator ring inventory on watches. I don’t see any difference in mine:

-6000 1969 JDM

-6000 1970 Proof

-6009 1970 Resist

-6005 1978 Plain

-6002 1972 Plain

-6002 1972 JDM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Sunrise - Not the Best Photo but you can clearly see the ridges in the Ring. Font?

Sunset - Once again not the Best Photo but you can faintly see the ridges. Looks like Maltese Font to my eye? Notice the cutaway to the 2 in the Subdial :)

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Useful information provided by very good photos of lovely numerals.

Thanks for making the effort to post.

As JB said, so much info, we could/should record for posterity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts