The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone !

On this watch the default hand for the day and second marker hands are a nickel silver finish.
Because of reflections they're not readily visible.

I was looking to use car touch-up paint but want them all to match.

HOW DO I MASK THE LUME ON THE CHRONO MIN & SEC HANDS ?

A discontinued Citizen F560-S031320 HSB is available with white hands and red tips, but I'm lost for where to find the parts.

NEW APPROACH
Having thought about this, I think it will be easier to paint the 'day' & 'seconds' hands in 'white'.
Once dry I can mask to create a cut line and paint a red tip like the F560-S031320 HSB
That way I do not need to touch the hands with lume or re-lume.

Can anyone advise on which is the best white paint to use for a 'matt' finish?

What do you think? (y):cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone tried filling the lume areas with Rodico or something similar (very carefully under magnification) then re-painting around those areas?
I may be the "The King of Sting", "The Count of Monte Fisto", but certainly not "The Master of Disaster" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Special Member
15,699 Posts
it won't look right. remove lume, prep the hands, repaint and relume. It's good to have lume material for other projects anyhow.
Seems like a lot of work.

Reactions: Aloha73

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've painted a few hands, and I'll have to agree that you'll need to remove the lume before painting,

then re-apply after.

The problem is that the lume is kind of porous, and will draw the paint in from any edge that touches it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've painted a few hands, and I'll have to agree that you'll need to remove the lume before painting, then re-apply after.
The problem is that the lume is kind of porous, and will draw the paint in from any edge that touches it.
If I could colour match the existing red then I would not need to touch the hands with the lume.
Would only need to do the day and second hands - which would be easier.

The red you used on your Seiko looks very close to the red on my Citizen.

What type of paint is it?
Do you have the colour reference?
How did you prepare the surface before painting?

Let me know - Thanks (y)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it won't look right. remove lume, prep the hands, repaint and relume. It's good to have lume material for other projects anyhow.
Seems like a lot of work.
You have to do the work if you want the result !
Is there any particular paint you use? (y)

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's not the best photo, the hands are actually orange. I used Testors enamel model paint. To prep the hands, I used a fiberglass scratch brush to rough them up slightly. It took several tries to get a decent finish. The idea is draw a single, thick coat onto the hand, rather than trying to brush it on. I had to strip the paint off and re-do it several times before I was satisfied with the results. It helped that the dial was already water damaged and the lume on the hands and dial were shot anyway, so I didn't have much to lose by attempting it.

·
Special Member
5,501 Posts
IMO I would buy some Aftermarket hands and hang onto the originals. Messing with an original part is always a regret. If you really want to paint them it won't look right without removing the lume. Good thing is you can try masking it 1st and always strip it and do it right if that fails.

·
Special Member
15,699 Posts
You have to do the work if you want the result !
Is there any particular paint you use? (y)
I have a very fine spray airbrush. I'd just use good quality model acrylic paint and spray it on for a factory like finish ...

Reactions: Aloha73

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NEW APPROACH
Having thought about this, I think it will be easier to paint the 'day' & 'seconds' hands in 'white'.
Once dry I can mask to create a cut line and paint a red tip like the F560-S031320 HSB
That way I do not need to touch the hands with lume or re-lume.

Can anyone advise on which is the best white paint to use for a 'matt' finish?
mwadner has suggested acrylic model paint

I've found 14ml 'Humbrol' dropper bottle - will have to use a fine paint brush

No. 34 Matt White

1 - 13 of 13 Posts