The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I love almost everything about the SBBN015 Tuna......

The one thing that bothers me is the second hand. I just can't take the meatball being at the "wrong" end of the hand.

Has anyone swopped out the hands on a Quarts Tuna with ones meant for an automatic Seiko movement ?

And, if so, has the swop affected the accuracy of the watch any ?

Thanks in advance

MANoj

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have never changed a Tuna second hand but have done a few other quartz movements. The hardest part is getting the line up of the new second hand on the minute marker. This takes a few resets and takes patience. Accuracy should not affect the watch after refitting unless the new second hand is made of lead! I know what you mean about the wrong end, a similar second hand is also used on SKX007 series.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think it looks beautiful the way it is. That said, if you decide to replace it, bear in mind that the hands for the 7S26 movement and the hands for the 7C46 movement have different hole sizes.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
I think it looks beautiful the way it is.
I second the sentiment. I find them pleasing from a technical perspective too, in that the actual distribution of the hand's weight is more balanced with the lume dot closer to the center on the back side, acting as a counter-balance to the longer front side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Selym, yah..need to find a sec hand that will fit the SBBN015 movement :confused:.

Yah..this feeling on the sec hand is indeed subjective. Some find it ok..but it just bothers me for some reason.

The feeling just gets reinforced when I see lume shots of the watch with the glowing sec hand meatball located 30 seconds from where the second hand is actually pointing :undecided:

Cheers

MANoj

I think it looks beautiful the way it is. That said, if you decide to replace it, bear in mind that the hands for the 7S26 movement and the hands for the 7C46 movement have different hole sizes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Melt.

I've got a watchmaker who should be able to get the hand to line up :)

Now comes the tough part of finding a suitable second hand ..preferably not made of lead ;)

Cheers

MANoj

I have never changed a Tuna second hand but have done a few other quartz movements. The hardest part is getting the line up of the new second hand on the minute marker. This takes a few resets and takes patience. Accuracy should not affect the watch after refitting unless the new second hand is made of lead! I know what you mean about the wrong end, a similar second hand is also used on SKX007 series.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya rileynp

Definitely a very subjective thing :)

No right or wrong here...just personal preferences :grin:

To me...the "oddness" gets magnified when watching the lume on the watch :undecided:

Photo taken off the web...

Cheers

MANoj

I second the sentiment. I find them pleasing from a technical perspective too, in that the actual distribution of the hand's weight is more balanced with the lume dot closer to the center on the back side, acting as a counter-balance to the longer front side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts