The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CITIZEN PARAWATER 68-5291 - Help please!

Hi, some days ago I bought this Citizen Parawater CITIZEN PARAWATER 68-5291, 4-740017Y, 00830395, 68-5291, with the specific intent to restore it. I realized that the crystal is broken internally, so it must be replaced.

But I cannot find the right reference to replace: there's something similar to the Seiko CGY Utility?
Thanks in advance to those who can help me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Hi salgi56
firstly the magic book with all the corresponding part numbers, codes, sizes, and equivalents for a vintage watch are nonexistent ( those parts are also no longer supplied )

To replace the crystal in your watch you will have to remove it from the case
( you tube has a number of tutorials on this, as well as crystal polishing )

when you have removed the crystal you measure it with a set of calipers, and then order a new one & a gasket( if needed) from a watch part supplier - aka wwwcousinsuk.com - heaps of styles to chose

when it arrives fit as described on another youtube tutorial

If I have missed something someone will no doubt correct me
good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for reply.
Sure, it's the standard procedure I follow when I have to change a generic crystal, but I'm wondering if it was possible to know the specific reference of original crystal for the reference of my watch, which is possible only with specific Citizen table which unfortunately I don't have; what I'm asking is if someone can help me in this way.
Salvo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After 5 months of arduous research, all over the world, and above all, thanks to the help of 2 watchmakers friends, I managed to find everything I needed to restore dignity this watch.
A worthy completion, I used a stainless steel bracelet, not original but of the correct period.
As you can see, I've been wearing it since yesterday and I think it will stay on my wrist for quite a while.
Thanks for the attention.

Salvo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I opened this thread, I was asking for something similar to the Seiko GCY Utility...Yes: www.boley.de offers a detailed archive, through which it is possible, specifying the manufacturer, to know everything that is needed for a well-defined reference.
boley, what else?;)
Have a good sunday.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Julesborel.com has a Watch Parts Database. Sometimes more information,sometimes less than Boley. Old Citizen parts have been nearly impossible to find. It is much harder to restore one compared to Seiko. You did a nice job on that one. Your watch looks great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts