·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was this? I can't seem to find it on their YouTube channel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sam just posted it last night so it might not show up yet on his YouTube link. I’ll ask him about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great show! Thank you. I really enjoyed that and learned a few new things.

Thanks! It was fun to do. Of course the expertise here at this forum far exceeds mine so when I posted the link my fear was that I might have messed up a few things! Like sitting for a university exam all over again

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff Tod. Thanks for sharing. I too have an affinity for Chronographs.
Thank you sir! Yes, you, Sir Alan, and mwadner and others are my chronograph heroes. I hope to get to a portion of your skill level one day. I'm sloooooowly working on it.

but I am good with both small and big block Chevy engines.:)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Waiting for all the 6139-6015 to go up in price in. 5....4...3...2....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
Also just wanted to point out something. You mentioned in the podcast that Seiko no longer produces Automatic chronographs. If im not mistaken Seiko still produces the 8R28 and the 9R86 Spring drive chronograph movements. Although i still dont see how they would be able to incorporate these movements in a 6139 reissue given the difference in subdial positions.
I did enjoy listening to it alot and i have to say probably the first time i listen to a podcast with so much indepth knowledge for Seiko chronographs, you did really well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also just wanted to point out something. You mentioned in the podcast that Seiko no longer produces Automatic chronographs. If im not mistaken Seiko still produces the 8R28 and the 9R86 Spring drive chronograph movements. Although i still dont see how they would be able to incorporate these movements in a 6139 reissue given the difference in subdial positions.

I did enjoy listening to it alot and i have to say probably the first time i listen to a podcast with so much indepth knowledge for Seiko chronographs, you did really well.

Hey thanks! And you are right! I blew it on the Spring Drive. Arrrrrrgh. But you are right. I don’t know how Seiko would modify the Spring Drive for the right layout. No matter what though any movement would cost a bloody fortune.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The absence of an appropriate movement rules out a Colonel.Bill Pogue re issue on the 50th anniversary then..... Shame. The one re issue Seiko should have made. In my opinion.

Reactions: CombatID

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The absence of an appropriate movement rules out a Colonel.Bill Pogue re issue on the 50th anniversary then..... Shame. The one re issue Seiko should have made. In my opinion.

I agree completely. This is a huge opportunity missed.

·
Special Member
4,612 Posts
That was great! I really enjoyed that Tod, thanks for sharing.
While the spring drive technology is admirable, it just wouldn’t be appropriate on reissue of arguably the first auto chrono. Big shoes to fill....would’ve been nice if Seiko had come up with a commemorative movement.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. I am also fascinated with the Seiko automatic chronograph movements. I always thought that vintage auto chronos are plentiful but you pointed out that they were only made for about 10 years and then Seiko changed the chronographs to quartz. 10 years is not a long time and vintage 6139s in good shape are getting harder to find.

I just love the case shapes and color combinations of the 6139s and they are so much Fun to Wear! The 1970s was a Golden Era for Seiko and Seiko's Sports Watches are Incredible! Well Done Sir and Thanks for the Wonderful Information!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Great piece Todd, I would guess not easy thinking on your feet when asked questions live!
I thought it was great and your answers as good as anyone would do, and prob better! especially as you are not a professional! Well done bro!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all! I’ll just do a blanket thank you to the group.

It was a lot of fun to do and it is interesting to have to think on “your feet”. But this was the second try at the podcast. In the first the audio got messed up a bit so Sam asked to redo it. What’s interesting is that I thought that my commentary was better in the first sometimes - it was more from pure terror of trying to answer the questions for the first time.

·
Special Member
4,612 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. I am also fascinated with the Seiko automatic chronograph movements. I always thought that vintage auto chronos are plentiful but you pointed out that they were only made for about 10 years and then Seiko changed the chronographs to quartz. 10 years is not a long time and vintage 6139s in good shape are getting harder to find.

I just love the case shapes and color combinations of the 6139s and they are so much Fun to Wear! The 1970s was a Golden Era for Seiko and Seiko's Sports Watches are Incredible! Well Done Sir and Thanks for the Wonderful Information!!!

Wasn’t the 7016 produced up to ‘86?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

The history of quartz Seiko chronographs, another classic fireplace tale. Witness the 7A28 and the 7T92. But especially the 7A28. A quartz with 4 separate stepper motors /modules. A quartz with more jewels than most basic Swiss efforts. And there's even at attempt at decorating the plates. Things of beauty and durability.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts