The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First, let me say that I really don't like writing reviews. A lot of info to handle,
many things can go wrong and to top it all - English is not my native language
I'll try at it, and I see it as a public service - if someone here wants a Riseman on his wrist,
this review should help with the decision. I'll try to be as objective as I can. It's an AB watch (Altimeter & Barometer),
So it tells you How high you are on this planet and what is the air pressure. Before you dismiss these features,
I can only say that I've managed, with great success, to predict rain many times (I'll explain how later).

This Model is the G-9200 featuring along with the regular Casio G-shock features a Barometer,
Altimeter, Thermometer, Solar energy, Full Auto-EL-light.
The almost identical GW-9200 has an atomic timekeeping reception as well, but not in my country.
These came also in metallic grey, Orange, light blue and some more IIRC.

As I got mine for my birthday two years ago, by my kids, I knew it will be a keeper,
even if it's the worst watch on the planet, which is not the case. It's a great watch -
It looks good, very "Toolish".

As I took it out of the tin box I knew it was perfect for a vacation. It comes with a book! :D
I've pictured myself rocking gently in a hammock, reading this book.... kidding of course.

That's a lot of manual, and that's because The Riseman is loaded with features

[url=http://mygshock.com/casio-manual/3148/][b]This is a link to an on-line manual[/b][/url]

Let's go throu the modes:

[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg27/galpo_2008/Casio_Riseman_review/Modes-riseman.png

Timekeeping Mode, featuring all you (and the US president) will need:

See the round red window? I call it the "Weather window". It has a Graph showing the changes in air barometric pressure readings,
and after watching it for a few rainy days, I could tell when the rain will come, by looking at the falling graph

[img]

moving on to the rest of the modes.
A side note: the pushers are not easy to push at first, as they are not sticking out but after
some "acclimation" it becomes easier.
Another thing - the straps are attached with special screwed pins, and not the regular spring ones,
easier and safer.

[img]

[img]

Barometer/thermometer mode. Top reading is barometric pressure, center is the thermometer (Celsius or Fahrenheit)

[img]

World time mode (33 cities). You can get a fast reading in the main TK mode

[img]

Stopwatch, Countdown timer and Alarm(s) modes

[img]

[img]

[img]

Data recall mode, for recording (and viewing) a climb log, like a dive log on dive computers. Cool!

[img]

Altitude mode

[img]

A few more shots of this toy

Right side view (Red button is the Alt mode)

[img]

Left view (the metal round thing is the sensor).

[img]

Case back view

[img]

Buckle

[img]

Size comparison with one of my G-5600

[img]

And with my Speedy

[img]

A short summary:

[b]Pros: Packed with features, light-weight, comfortable, tough, looks (IMHO) great.[/b][b]
Cons: Many features = Reading and learning a thick manual, No compass,
strap is a little stiff and needs a break-in time, too big for small wrists.[/b][b]

All-in all, it's a great go-to watch whenever you go on any outdoor trip[/b]

Can't conclude without my low-alt world record ;D

[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg27/galpo_2008/Riseman_-405/DSC_0296_m.jpg

Thanks for reading
Galpo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts