The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my regulars dropped one of these in to me "for spares" a few days ago and, of course, the first thing to do was to see what worked and what didn't.

New batteries showed everything working except the baro / altimeter sensor. Now, having been around when these were introduced, I remembered that trying to take the module out of the case without first disconnecting the sensor would rip the ribbon cable off the back.

Sure enough....





That sensor is long obsolete so, with nothing at all to lose, out came the epoxy resin to hold the cable in place:



Followed by a soldering iron and some fine copper to bridge the missing parts of the tracks. In order to do this I used a diamond burr in my Dremel to remove just enough of the insulation from the back of the cable to "see" the copper track.

The end result was not the neatest bit of soldering ever, but sound connections ready to refit and test:




And, the end result?



A slightly battered, but fully functional, triple sensor. Temp is reading within 0.1 deg C of my home weather station and baro within 2 mBar, which is good enough for me :)

Now just need to find a suitable strap - the original rubber appears to be long discontinued but I'm sure I can come up with something in keeping ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for mini tutorial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great stuff, thanks for mini tutorial.
It was a fairly common reason for that sensor failing. The cable has a couple of quite tight bends in it when fitted, and is only supported by the solder pads on the sensor.

People get a bit rough trying to get the batteries out and the movement lifts a little, then won't go back in because the pusher switches get caught. So they lift the movement out to try and see why it won't go in and rip the cable.

This is the first time I'd tried repairing one - always before they went back to Casio, but they were current models with parts available. What I didn't show in the photos is that after soldering I also coated the new connections with epoxy, which will hopefully give it a little more support in future ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Great work, impressive.

I don't think nobody else but yourself would do this kind of fine job. Any watchmaker would refuse that work. Back from the grave, congratulations.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top