The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casio Pathfinder PAW 1500
Basically, this watch wasn`t for me. I purchased it as a gift to a friend of mine but I ended up
keeping it to myself. Of course, I picked another watch out of my collection that became the
gift.
So, I`ll skip the unwrapping part and I`ll start right from the neat little wooden box
the watch came in. Opening the outer box, it revealed the user manual that is prety thick
but then it is written in other languages too. Upon removing it from its outer box, I actually
had to look closely where do I open the box since all the edges are so nicely finished, you
can`t tell which side is the one that opens. Eventualy I found it.

And here it is: Casio Pathfinder PAW 1500, Solar, Multiband 5.

First impression: Its nice, I like it! It looks robust (probably is too). Display is easy to read, Main ABC
functions easily accessible with dedicated buttons. Lightweight, therefore easy to wear.
OK, now lets take a closer look at the watch and its features/functions. Hopefully I can
remember them all without looking in the user manual.
The case is a dark green with black plastic and it measures just over 51mm.

A black plastic/rubber strap is held in place by SS screws. Little brushed metal tabs are inserted with
the inscription "Pathfinder" on both straps. Nice touch.

The strap is also prety long. It can be easily worn over a jacket or it should even go around your ancle
with some strap left over...LOL

On the left side of the case at 8 o`clock, there is a "Mode" button that helps you navigate thru
each feature as you push the button. At 10 o`clock mark there is an opening for the sensor.

On the right side of the case you`ll have 3 buttons that allows you to access the 3 main features of
this watch: Altimeter, Barometer and the Compass.

At the bottom of the case, there are 2 smaller buttons. The one on the left will help you set/adjust
various features and the one on the left is the EL.

On the bottom there is a nicely done SS case back held in place by screws. There you`ll find the model
& module number, WR rating, etc

Now, lets see take a look at the features.
This Casio has a MultiBand 5 feature that allows it to synch its time where ever you are around the world.
The synch feature only works for the time you selected as local. If the watch is left in the "World Time"
mode, it will synchronize as well. The watch is set to receive RC signal 6 times over 24 hours period and
it can be done automatically as well as manualy. So far, for the past week since I wear it, it received the
signal every 2nd night. The watch also keeps a "log" of the last time (hour, minutes, month and date) it
received signal. During the reception process, the watch will also display the strenght of the reception:
L1, L2 or L3 - L3 being the strongest. After a succesfull reception, a triangular shaped indicator is
displayed on the main display at 10 o`clock.

Another welcome feature to such a watch is the capability to recharge its battery. That is done with the
help of the solar panel - or rather ring - that`s all around the LCD display. Fully charged, the battery
keeps the watch running for aproximately 5 months if the watch is in complete dark. The watch also has
a "Power Saving" feature than can be turned on or off. When its on, this feture will extend somewhat
the battery life by turning off the LCD screen during the night. The watch will go to "sleep" after 22:00
and it comes back on at 6:00. Should you press the EL button during the "sleep" time, the watch will
show you the time while the light is on. The watch won`t enter the sleep mode if its left in one of the
ABC modes.
Now, lets start with the main timekeeping display.
On this display you`ll see the time that can be displayed in 12/24 hour format, minutes and seconds.
Above the hour there is a small round display that indicates the various faces of the moon. Above the
minutes you`ll find displayed the day. Below the hours there is a icon (H, M, L) that indicates the battery
level - high, medium or low. Below that there is a "PS" indicator - Power Saving.
Right under the minutes, there is the month and the date displayed - and under that the tide graph.

From the timekeeping mode, with the mode button, you can navigate thru the following functions:
Tide/moon data. In this mode you can see the current tide and moon phase for your Local City. The
tide data is shown for the time set, in this case 6:00 but it can be set for other times as well.There is an
extensive set up that can be done for the tide/moon feature for those who are intrested - I`m not,
so I won`t bother.

Countdown/timer mode. This timer can be set in 1 minute increments up to 60 minutes. The timer can
also be set to beep at various times in different ways. Currently I set it so that it beeps for the last 10
seconds and a long beep when reaches "0".

Stopwatch. We are all familiar with this function. Start, split, stop, reset. The stop watch counts up to
23:59:59:99 but after that it keeps going unless you stop it.

Worldtime. In this mode you can choose to have the time displayed from 33 cities or 29 time zones.

Alarm/hourly signal mode. In this mode you`ll have access to hourly signall (on or off) and to 5 alarms.
Not sure what can 5 alarms be used for but they are there.

Altimeter data. Just like other ABC wathes, Casio is using a sensor to measure the air pressure in order to
estimate the current elevation. Also, you can specify the reference altitude and the watch will calculate the
current altitude from there. The watch also will store automaticaly the highest reached altitude and the time.
There is also a graph representation where the vertical line represents 10 meters/dot and the horizontal line is
2 minutes/dot.

Signal receive mode. In this mode you can view the last time the watch received the calibration signal.
Also, in this mode you can make adjustments with regards to Auto Synch or Manual Synch. In Auto Synch
mode, the watch will try to pick up a signal between midnight (0:00) and morning (6:00). To receive the
signal calibration, it can take between 5 ninutes to 15 minutes. Once the signal has been received, the next
calibration times will be canceled - if any left.

After that, the next push of the button will return you to the Timekeeping mode. Now lets see the
ABC features.
As I said earlier, the Altimeter will measure the altitude based on the preset values or the reference
altitude you specify. The display will update the values in meters or feet as well as the graph on top of
the display. The resolution of the altimeter is nothing to write home about: +/- 5 meters... or +/- 20 feet!
Even in the set up mode, the reference altitude can only be set in 5 meters increments. You can also save
manualy a certain altitude just in case you wanna prove something to someone...

The Barometer/Thermometer uses 2 sensors; one for each function. Pushing the button marked "Baro"
will bring up on the display the current air pressure reading and below that is the temperature. The
barometric pressure is also displayed on a graph in either "Baro" mode or the Timekeeping mode. If the
graph is rising it means a good weather and if it starts to drop well... that`s not too good.

Digital compass uses a sensor to detect the magnetic North and it can indicate 16 directions. By pushing
the button marked "Comp" will get you in the compass mode and right the way you`ll see lines running
around the outer edge of the LCD display. North will be indicated by 3 lines. Also, on the display you can
read the direction you are heading to, angle values in DeGrees and on the bottom you see the current time.
The compass will stay on for about 15 seconds. The compass can be calibrated in 3 different ways: magnetic
declination, bidirectional caibration and northerly calibration.

Well, that concludes our analisys of the PAW 1500. What else is left than the PROs and the CONs ....
Since I only have one other ABC watch, which is my Timex WS4, I will use that to compare to.

Both wathes measure about the same 51 - 52mm. Both watches are plastic therefore light and comfy on the
wrist. What I think it would look better on the Casio is a wider plastic/rubber strap. Wider at the lugs to
somewhat compliment the large case and then tapper off towards the clasp. The EL button is pretty small
and you`ll rather have to push it with your finger nail for the LCD to lit up.
The WS4 its not solar, nor atomic and its not 200m water resistant - so from that aspect, Timex could do
some improvements.
Price. The PAW 1500 its very nicely priced for what you are getting. Can be found anywhere between $220
and $250 and for the full titanium version you pay about $300. The Timex WS4 can be bought for about
$120 -$140. and it comes in a variety of colors: black, white, blue, orange, yellow, green, green camo,
grey camo.
Functionality. As an ABC watch, the PAW 1500 has a buttons layout as far as the main function are concerned.
Dedicated buttons for the Altimeter, Barometer and Compass makes this features avaiable anytime you desire.
The WS4 has those function accessible thru the menu button so you`ll end up pushing the button... 1,2 or 3
times depending on what function you want. However, the WS4 is able to display the Alt or Baro and the
Temp data on its main Timekeeping screen.
Easy of use. It takes some playing around with the PAW 1500 just for you to memorize the features. I didn`t
find it (particularly) hard to set up but personaly, I do like better the much easier interface of the WS4.
Somehow the WS4 is more ... intuitive.
Display. I think its a matter of prefference, how big of a display you wanna look at. In some cases, the size
does matter. Mostly for the volume of information being displayed an once. The PAW 1500 has a nice size
LCD with a good contrast. Info can be seen clearly....if they are big enough. Small icons however, get lost.
I think WS4 has a much nicer display and because of the size of it, whatever info is on the display, you`ll see it.
ABC functions. I particularly don`t like the Altimeter on PAW 1500. Why can you only adjust the altimeter in
5 meter (20 feet) increments? Are you kidding me??? The Altimeter has a +/- 5 meter accuracy. That`s fine,
that`s what the WS4 has as well. But I can adjust the WS4 in 1 meter increments. Maybe 5 meters is not much -
according to Casio - but sure as hell the error will add up in a hurry!
Compass & Barometer. This 2 functions I like. A little bit different that the WS4 but not by much and they seem
reliable.
Alarm. Its fine by me, PAW 1500 has 5 alarms. They are 5 and they are all very quiet. And they sound for 10
seconds... 10 seconds? Are you kidding me? what`s the point of having 5 alarms anyway if they can`t be
heard? On the wrist, I have to be in a very quiet room to hear the beep sound. Also, the alarms can be set
only 24 hours ahead. The WS4 has a louder alarm, flashing display and the possibility of setting it 7 days
in advance or settiing it only on a certain day or days.
Well, here we are. Hope this post didn`t take away all your free time. In closing, some wrist shots...

.....and then, the lume shot!

Well guys, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
excellent review! :bravo_2:

I also have the PAW1500 and it is a superb watch coming closer to the G-shocks with its 20 BAR WR.
:great:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time said:
excellent review! :bravo_2:

I also have the PAW1500 and it is a superb watch coming closer to the G-shocks with its 20 BAR WR.
:great:
Thanks,
I look at it as a "gloryfied g-Shock"

·
Registered
1 Posts
A fantastic do it all watch, but the band is worthless. It is held in by a strong screw on each side but tiny rubber loops on the band. If you put your hand or wrist into a position that places a not unreasonable amount of strain on the watch you pop the loops open. No problem unless you are an active person who find himself inadvertently in an awkward position and needs to catch himself. The real problem is locating a replacement for the crappy band. Multiple products by Casio with similar part numbers and size variations between 1 or 2 mm apart, so be careful. If you find the part that looks like a paw-1500 band, it is only slightly more than 10-20% of the total price of the watch. The watch does function well as a pocket watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the PRG130Y but with Atomic that I added from a module board from a Paw1500. But with the reverse display. Working on pics of both board and the differences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts