The Watch Site banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have been restoring (as a hobby) old watches and clocks the past 2 years and I feel that the time has come to share some of my experience with you.
On the attached photos you can see a quite rare Casio MQW3000W that I tried to restore.
I bought it from a forum 3 months ago and it was in pretty bad shape. The original movement has been replaced by an ETA 555.425 and the original crown had the stem broken inside and replaced by a smaller non screw down.
So my first job was to put the crown into alum solution to dissolve the broken stem. After successfully dissolving the stem I attached the original crown.
Then I stripped down the front part of the watch (bezel and bezel mechanism) which was full of mud and gave it a good bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. So far everything was ok.
Then I tried to clean the dial but when I touched it all the letters disappeared, so I had a blank dial in very bad condition. After a lot of research and thinking I decided to change the dial and make one on my own. So I ordered some luminous hour markers from ebay, I stripped down all the previous paint using some alcohol and sand it one direction using 2000 grid wet paper. Then I glued the markers on the dial and voila. I also sanded the chapter ring same way as the dial. For the hands I removed the old molded lume and installed a new one.

Attachments

·
Special Member
15,296 Posts
that's great - I love seeing stuff like this. thanks for sharing ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts