The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get rash and really screw this up, can someone help me out on what I need to do to get into this Silverwave?

The watch:

The case back:

The weapon of destruction:

So far I've only succeeded in scratching the side of the case back, and I'm getting very frustrated. I walked away before I do something more rash. I've been on a string lately of everything watch-related I try and attempt going to sh%t so before I screw this up in a significant way, I figured I should issue a call for help.

I cannot feel any 'lip' to anchor against, neither does there appear to be any kind of cutout on the case to allow me to get underneath the case back at all.

Help?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This shows one taken apart. Might help?

adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/seiko-silverwave-diver-from-1964/

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you study the case back edge (between case and case back) there should be recess/cut out for getting a blade in to prise off the back. It's quite small, I use a knife (not the proper or safest tool), but works for me. Judging from the photo the gap is at 9 o clock normal watch viewing position, or below the serial number viewed from back (as pic). Hope that helps and is correct, someone out there may know better.
Regards, David

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I usually use a Stanley blade for tight case backs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock! The cutout was on the caseback side, and did line up with the serial number, so thank you for that. Now my real challenge, the lume triangle that was floating around the dial (for the '0/60' position on the rotating inner bezel) fell apart by the time I got the case open, so now I'm looking for a lume triangle (I expect these to be impossible to find) or a complete inner bezel to complete the watch. The dial is in amazing condition, looks fabulous, and the existing lume looks authentically old.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I imagine that reluming the triangle wouldn't be so hard, as it's got a cut out in the ring.
Or mix some lume and cut it to shape and apply with lume binder.
The hard part will be matching the lume - as you said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts