The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Special Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a side by side look at two 7548 cases.

The case on the left has been finished in a tumbler and the one on the right is just standard factory finish.

The case I put in the tumbler had scratches from previous owner that were too deep so I decided to use this one in an experiment to see if tumbling could effectively remove the scratches.

The resulting finish is smooth and the color presents as a gun metal gray.

Comments welcome!

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
I like the tumbled finish - looks really good. I wonder how leaving the case back original would look against the tumbled finish? Might be a nice contrast ....

·
Special Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tumbled the case with caseback and crown on to protect the threaded areas.

The caseback could be taped off to keep the center shiny.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,260 Posts
I tumbled the case with caseback and crown on to protect the threaded areas.

The caseback could be taped off to keep the center shiny.

Mike

That actually might look very cool with center shiny - get a good one without a lot of scratches ...

·
Special Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just trying out different grades of media to see which is best... preparing for a special homage build.

Will see if I can get it done by year's end.

Mike

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Here's a side by side look at two 7548 cases.

The case on the left has been finished in a tumbler and the one on the right is just standard factory finish.

The case I put in the tumbler had scratches from previous owner that were too deep so I decided to use this one in an experiment to see if tumbling could effectively remove the scratches.

The resulting finish is smooth and the color presents as a gun metal gray.

Comments welcome!

Mike
looks good! can we see more photos, of the front and sides?
is it the same finish as a bead-blasting? or do you feel it's a
little different than that?

·
Special Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tumble finish sort of blends scratches in with the rest of the case. It's like sanding the metal with fine grades of sandpaper but shows no grain or sanding marks.

I suppose the case could then be polished again fairly easily, but any of these case treatments removes metal..sand blasting, tumbling or just sanding the case removes some metal so you'd need to be careful during polishing not to remove too much additional metal and the factory case lines will be less visible in the end.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts