The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First posting over here on the dark side ;D

Seem to recall some info or new caps / rechargeable batteries for kinetics. If i recall correctly, it was mentioned that the new ones are worse than old items if the watches aren't used. And also that if the newer ones become fully discharged, they are hen useless.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

And if so what happens to all the kinetics in shops that never get any movement for several years in some cases?

Thanks

BarryW

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
barryw said:
First posting over here on the dark side ;D

Seem to recall some info or new caps / rechargeable batteries for kinetics. If i recall correctly, it was mentioned that the new ones are worse than old items if the watches aren't used. And also that if the newer ones become fully discharged, they are hen useless.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

And if so what happens to all the kinetics in shops that never get any movement for several years in some cases?

Thanks

BarryW
Yes, the Lithium battery type cell does need to be kept charged or it will deteriorate. Each time it is allowed to discharge below a certain point, it becomes less and less able to hold a full charge and if left completely discharged for a long period, will definitely die.

Any kinetic watch left uncharged in a store for years will be DOA and need a new cell.

I suspect the newer models with only a one monthe reserve, have a failsafe built in that won't let the watch drain the battery below a certain level. Once the drain is stopped, these cells will typically only lose about 15% of there capacity over a year period.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pin said:
Yes, the Lithium battery type cell does need to be kept charged or it will deteriorate. Each time it is allowed to discharge below a certain point, it becomes less and less able to hold a full charge and if left completely discharged for a long period, will definitely die.

Any kinetic watch left uncharged in a store for years will be DOA and need a new cell.

I suspect the newer models with only a one monthe reserve, have a failsafe built in that won't let the watch drain the battery below a certain level. Once the drain is stopped, these cells will typically only lose about 15% of there capacity over a year period.
It would be nice to have more data on the fail safe. This particularity of the capacitor make very hesitant to buy a watch with only one month power reserve. I did not buy a Prospex SBDD001 Kinetic Direct Drive with 5D22 because of the capacity of the capacitor (lol sounds funny!) or more like my lack of knowledge on the durability of it. I have many kinetics ( 8 ) and thank God I have a charger (YT02A)
If not I would not own more than one or 2 without it. To many swinging nights in front of TV :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts