The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, can youdrop a balance complete in an ultra sonic cleaner to clean the hairspring, I can remove the shock jewel but im not too keen on removing the spring from the balance as I havent really had enough practice in doing that yet.
I know it might not be correct procedure but I dont have any one dip with me as im away from home at the moment, ive got some lighter fluid but it doesnt seem to be doing such a good job

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I strip the movement, then refit the balance assembly to the bare mainplate and put it in the ultrasonic.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, I had a look around the net and I put some lighter fluid in a small container, then put some water in my cleaner and placed the small container with hairspring and balance in the water and turned on, worked quite well, but I still seem to have two coils that want to stick together when laid flat, they readily come apart if I hang the balance assembly from my balance tack, im possibly thinking it might be magnetised, so I popped into my local maplins to purchase the last demagnatiser that they had in stock and they couldnt find it and wouldnt even bother looking for it.
Anyway I came away with a hand held microscope for £8.00, well I wont be reccomending it to anyone, I took the end off as it provides better veiwing but it works in reverse, yep, you go right to go left, god knows whats wrong, but its nigh on impossible to follow the coils on the hairspring, I think mayge a lense is installed backwards I really dont know, all imdo know is that it was a waste of £8.00, ohwell live and learn, might aswell try and order some essence of renata from somewhere now haha

·
Researcher
5,027 Posts
I think you should be very careful immersing balances in lighter fluid, especially in an ultrasonic bath. I believe that shellac is used in many a balance to hold the impulse jewel as well as to hold the spring/stud. Lighter fluid can dissolve the shellac.
You could end up in a right mess and a balance in pieces.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for all the info, that youtube video was very informative and inwill be using that technique when i need it, well I bathed the balance complete and all is fine, I have re assembled the watch for now but will look for a demagnatiser tonight and then get busy with it next week, im just in the middle of stripping and cleaning an old glycine ww2 german wermacht watch so concentrating on that at the moment.

·
Researcher
5,027 Posts
You can use a plug in the wall type mains adaptor as a de magnetizer. Any de-magnetizer uses a pulsating magnetic field to remove the DC induced magnetism.
A transformer uses 50hz AC - ie a rapidly changing magnetic field to work.
Put the magnetized item next to the transformer and move it away from it, slowly, in ever expanding circles.
Same technique used in De Gaussing TV's ( we used to use a 100watt soldering iron as a de-Gausser)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As im away from home at the moment the only thing ive got is a phone charger somprobably not really up to the job, but some really good info there cheers, although I have found a demagnatiser on the bay for £3.99, so I might aswell buy that one and wait for it to arrive in a few days

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I think you should be very careful immersing balances in lighter fluid, especially in an ultrasonic bath. I believe that shellac is used in many a balance to hold the impulse jewel as well as to hold the spring/stud. Lighter fluid can dissolve the shellac.
You could end up in a right mess and a balance in pieces.
When shellac turns old it will turn ... " Brownish in Color ", that's why
many " Balance Wheels ' look tarnished and have the old look to it,
........ Its a sealer.

·
Researcher
5,027 Posts
When shellac turns old it will turn ... " Brownish in Color ", that's why
many " Balance Wheels ' look tarnished and have the old look to it,
........ Its a sealer.
True, but it's also used as a glue, like for pallet stones.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I use brake cleaning fluid, its Naphtha based as is lighter fuel but i believe more pure and dosnt leave any oily residue behind.
I am aware that it can dissolve Shellac, but so far i have been lucky and havnt had any self disassembing balance assy's after cleaning.

I dont use Brake cleaner in an U/S cleaner, its highly flammable and way too risky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts