The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked, but can anyone tell me if I could swap out the standard 7S26 for the 4R36 calibre if I was desperate for hacking & winding in a SKX007 watch?

BTW - my first post here, so remember to be kind to newbies!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
convergentus said:
I'm sure it's been asked, but can anyone tell me if I could swap out the standard 7S26 for the 4R36 calibre if I was desperate for hacking & winding in a SKX007 watch?

BTW - my first post here, so remember to be kind to newbies!
I'm pretty sure the fourth wheel's pinion (the shaft that the seconds hand rides on) is too long and will foul the crystal. The work-around might be using the fourth wheel from a 7S26. I'm not sure if it'll fit.

To make a long story short, I don't know.

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
To be honest.. for a few dollars more you can buy a 6R15/NE15, which has the exact same dimensions as the 7S26 and is better regulated from the factory ( you'll have to find a compatible 6R15 crown/stem though ). If you really want to use the 4R36, then the easiest option is to use a domed crystal - which means the hands have enough room to breathe, likewise a new 4R36 crown/stem will have to be used. If you want to compare hand heights etc then read these ..

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done it....

I put a 4R36 in an SKX173. The only difficult part is making the new crown/stem combo. I bought a crown assembly on eBay that was for an SKX007 that appeared to be screwed into the crown because the shaft was threaded. You need a pin vise to take it apart and a stem extension. You have to trial and error the stem but everything else was easy.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Daniel said:
I've done it....

I put a 4R36 in an SKX173. The only difficult part is making the new crown/stem combo. I bought a crown assembly on eBay that was for an SKX007 that appeared to be screwed into the crown because the shaft was threaded. You need a pin vise to take it apart and a stem extension. You have to trial and error the stem but everything else was easy.
Nicely done Daniel, could you post some pics for us please?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would love to see this skx173 too :)
I hope it is pretty easy, I may try it myself...
Is there any problem with the crown at 3? and the crown at 4? or do you have to source the right movement?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
About a year ago I put an NH36 in an SKX171 and more recently an NH35 in a 7002-7020. My SKX171 didn't have the one piece stem/crown so the swap was pretty easy. I didn't have any clearance issues with the crystal.

Here's the SKX171

and my 7002 (lots of other mods on this one)
[img]http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r592/mwbuss8/SCWF/IMG_20130424_230800_zps4a64aa43.jpg

-Micah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts