The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I caught this on a buy it now on ebay.

I bought the single watch I wanted for half the BIN price and was open with the seller as to why.
This is what the postman delivered today.

It's a 6138-8020 in need of some stuff.
It runs.
The start stop pusher is working but when pressed the second hand stops only whilst the button is pressed in.
The reset button has no resistance
The crown is missing the stem is there.
The crystal needs replacing.
A bit of work but I'm still pretty happy.
I will keep you updated if anyone is interested.
Thanks for reading.
Cam

·
Craftsman
3,876 Posts
Nice score Cam!

The reset button will have no resistance until the chrono is fully stopped. I would suspect dirt under the start-stop pusher preventing the stop-start lever from being fully depressed.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Nice find. The Dial looks to be in good condition, crystal should be available.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice score Cam!

The reset button will have no resistance until the chrono is fully stopped. I would suspect dirt under the start-stop pusher preventing the stop-start lever from being fully depressed.

Thanks. So I read your posting about the removal of the stem and opened it up.....

The good news is it's super clean.
Bad news is there is NO resistance on the pushers. They push in easily but against nothing.
The start stop button pushes loosely against the mechanism but there is no solid click.

The reset mechanism is kind of stuck in its recessed position.
This might be a bit out of my league and considering its a panda may be best off in experienced hands.
I would feel safer around a 7009

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice find. The Dial looks to be in good condition, crystal should be available.

I accidentally grabbed a panda Crystal of Stefan a few months back and stupidly returned it.
May have to beg him again.

Are there many alternative crowns that suit it or do I have to grab the real deal? Just got a few 6119 today also.

·
Craftsman
3,876 Posts
It takes a 55M06NS crown and a 350T02ANS crystal. I most likely have both on hand but I'd have to check to be sure.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Great Find Cam...well worth taking the time to make that one 100% ....great score

Reactions: camrok

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Great pick up Camrok and well spotted. I hate to offer more issues, but the hour and minute hands are off another watch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great pick up Camrok and well spotted. I hate to offer more issues, but the hour and minute hands are off another watch too.

Well spotted. I don't have much chrono experience after a quick google search it looks like these came with a black edged white hands that were shaped a little differently.
I would like a set of them on it. But first I will tackle the crown and pusher Issue. Then Crystal and hands.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yep, like these. I don't have any idea where you're going to find some.
I bought my crystal from Stefan (thanks again). If he no longer has any there is a guy in the Philippines offering them on eBay - claimed to be NOS but I couldn't say for sure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428622216.069609.jpg

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's a fantastic watch. Classy and sporty combined. Slim enough to fit under tight shirt cuffs, textured dial and a really nice hand set. From what I can see your dial looks great. For some reason a high proportion that come up on eBay have a trashed dial or an AM one, which is a great pity. Must be something about them that makes them degrade.
Good luck on the restoration.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a fantastic watch. ...For some reason a high proportion that come up on eBay have a trashed dial or an AM one, which is a great pity. Must be something about them that makes them degrade.

I wonder if it's the extra seals and moisture.
As there are 5 seals on this watch (inc Crystal and case back) compared to 3 on a non chrono the potential for minor humidity or major leaks would be higher.

·
Registered
359 Posts
nice score....and a great strategy. i'll have to remember that - especially after what happened to me.
last week i saw an auction on a bunch of watches....they were all turds. but in the mix i saw a breitling navitimer. i asked the owner if it was really a breitling. she didn't know from up and gave me a stupid reply "it's just a fashion watch". i shoulda pulled the trigger (bangs head).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
nice score....and a great strategy. i'll have to remember that - especially after what happened to me.
last week i saw an auction on a bunch of watches....they were all turds. but in the mix i saw a breitling navitimer. i asked the owner if it was really a breitling. she didn't know from up and gave me a stupid reply "it's just a fashion watch". i shoulda pulled the trigger (bangs head).

I think we all have stories like that. Like the buy it now of 85 aud for an Italian seiko chrono. I let it go to auction and went for 400
But I've pulled the trigger plenty of times in watches that look like a Arnie or cushion diver only to get a cheap imitation. I have a 30litre bucket of turd if you want it from pulling the trigger fails.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts