The Watch Site banner

Can these 6105 hands be saved?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NevRo 
#1 ·
Hi! Question for those of you who are used to looking at restoration candidate watches:

When you you see gunk like this on hands and markers, do you assume that it's surface gunk that can brushed off, or corrosion that has eaten into the metal?

I'm being offered this watch, and I don't know if I should assume it can be restored or not. Thanks!

Analog watch Metal Wall clock Watch Clock

Metal

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Font Symbol Cross Metal

Wheel

See less See more
#4 ·
Brad Sir you would be surprised how they turn out if you manage to get a hold of Guy over here.
He does Stirling relume work and amazing how much he can do on messed up dials and hands.

#5 ·
It can go very deep or it can be cleaned quite successfully. The lume often needs to come away from the hands in order to clean up substantially. There may be brassing to the hands as a result, or there may not be. It is only once the restoration is attempted will this become clear. As for the plots if you're lucky the black can lift away as if it is simply dirt, but again the same applies and normally, not always, results in a relume being necessary.

Then the logo was removed and cleaned.

And this had some poor blackening.

And lastly.

Takes a long time, though.. :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.