The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some inventory and found some strange straps in my closet. Now I don't need all of them, but I also don't want to sell bad stuff (reputation to uphold).

I was wondering, the rubber straps I usually see have the Tsunami wave, and also very nice finishing. In my stock I found a couple of odd straps.
They are old, and they came from Seiko. But the Tsunami is missing....

PLease have a look, maybe one of you knows the strap, or knows about the use of the printed wave on rubber straps.

Number one:
ZLL34 on the package:

I received it from Seiko, but if I look at http://www.zen44871.zen.co.uk/How_to_spot_a_fake_Seiko_Z22.html it is not a Seiko?
No wave printed on the strap... but that is about a Z22 diver strap...
So question 1: is this a real one?

Number two: a very cool strap

I think this one is a genuine Seiko. No wave, but the rest is made perfectly. 20mm so nice on my 6105-8110
Does anyone know this strap? I cannot find much about it on the internet.

number three:

How the holes are made and the finish is very good!
But is it genuine?

Number 4:

No Tsunami, but a 100m wave!
Looks like not all rubber straps have the Tsunami. This one has the 100m wave.
Could it be that rubber straps that were not supposed to be used on / sold with divers did not get the wave on them?

And a standard 22mm flat vented:

ReEal, no question. BUt to show the finishing and the wave.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
Re: Rubber straps fake or real

Don't know if their fake or not but if you want to sell the ZLM27, I'll be happy to take it off your hands!! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts

My quick test to seperate a real from a fake flat vent Z22: drop the long half of the strap in water.

It floats, it's made of polyvinyl chloride (ie, PVC). Try to heat treat that strap with hot water (to put a permanent curve in it), the strap will curl up into a ball of goo.

It sinks, it's made of polyurethane (ie, PU). Heat treat that strap, it takes on a curve and fits your wrist very comfortably.

Many "aftermarket" Seiko diver straps are available, some from reputable dealers. My experience is most are PVC junk. You want the real thing at a reasonable price? Jules Borel & Co. sells them.

·
Registered
688 Posts

I agree re. PVC. I actually dislike it more than silicone. Give me natural rubber or NBR any day.

crowley86 said:
My quick test to seperate a real from a fake flat vent Z22: drop the long half of the strap in water.

It floats, it's made of polyvinyl chloride (ie, PVC). Try to heat treat that strap with hot water (to put a permanent curve in it), the strap will curl up into a ball of goo.

It sinks, it's made of polyurethane (ie, PU). Heat treat that strap, it takes on a curve and fits your wrist very comfortably.

Many "aftermarket" Seiko diver straps are available, some from reputable dealers. My experience is most are PVC junk. You want the real thing at a reasonable price? Jules Borel & Co. sells them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I posted this to show some straps and to ask if someone knows if the straps are real or not. Not to show tham as being not real.

It seams that only the 17mm lugend is not genuine Seiko, all others come directly from Seiko, and should be OK.
BUt beacause not all of them have the wave, I was wondering.

Be prepared for a stunning strap in a day or two... HL771

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

To add one question:
I found a interesting piece.

This is a predesessor of the Z17 strap. But I have seen a few different prints on it. ONe with only SEIKO JAPAN on the place where mine has also HL771 17 printed.
And one that has HL771 printed on the long part (to the case).
So again... I got it from Seiko... but I am not certain it is genuine. Who can help me out here?

It is 1 or 2 holes too short for my 18cm wrist. It is a real ladies-strap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts