The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Original (except for the dial and 2nds hands) 6105-8110 with a water 150m Proof dial but the dials raised indice marker boxes have lost the plating on them and are all but worn down to the brass!
Can anything be done to restore them or am I SOL??

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
The dials original so my advice would be to leave well alone,6105 owners seem to pride themselves on the watch being as original as possible especially the dial and hands.Even wabi is tollerated on the lume by some to show its original.Im sure there is someone out there that may replate the raised boxes,im sure it would be an intricate job to do anyway.My advice leave it original. ;)

·
Administrator
30,393 Posts
Just my thoughts, unless you like wabi that is a pretty poor dial and even if you leave it "original" it will always be poor, on a realy nice dial i wouldent dream of messing with it but that one does not do anything for your watch or does it add value so i would clean it up and relume it while you look for a nice one.

This dial on my 8000 was and still is a very poor one but i cleaned it up and relumed and now in the watch under glass with the naked eye looks very passable, personally i would prefer to see a dial that looks half decent than one that is crumbling before your eyes JMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with Tiger. If you have a dial such as yours, with obvious and unrepairable corrosion to the markers and gungy lume, then you have nothing really to lose in getting it cleaned up and relumed. I have a 6105-8000 whose dial looked more or less like yours:

With a relume, it now looks like this:

Some may well prefer the wabi'd look before, but on balance, I prefer this particular dial with its relume than with the grubby lume as was.

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts