The Watch Site banner

Can anyone spot what brand of Diver's this model is ? :)

15K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  wulls 
#1 ·
I will do a follow up when it arrives ! I have to do it here because there is a surprise in the movement i think ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It's an AQUALALUNG / ST. MORITZ / MOMENTUM / Whatever flavor of month brand is, since there's been already said this model comes in a lot of brands printed on the dial. All of them are powered by a VX-42 Seiko quartz movement. This is not new around here. I had one at one point and sold it to a buddy of mine at work for more money than I paid for it. 8)
Mine had the ST. MORITZ brand name printed on it. Bought it on ebay, BNIB, with manual, tag, papers, etc....It came OEM on a watchadoo look-alike bracelet. My buddy just couldn't stand not having the watch for himself. I wore it for a month, than sold it to him. It's a very good watch, by the way.

#13 ·
Svand,

Did the watch ever arrive? A gent on another forum (not related to watches) posted a photo and he was wearing what I thought was one of the nicest watches I had seen in a while. I asked and he said it was a Tauchmeister. I looked the brand up and found as was posted above (one of the mushroom brands), but they seemed to have decent reviews on the other watch forums. I won one of the diver models with the orange hands, black dial, and retrograde 24-hour dial down in the lower left part of the dial. I got it for a total of about $85, which included shipping and insurance from Europe (Spain I think). Well it arrived this afternoon and I have to admit, it is darn nice looking! Where else are you going to get a $85 shrouded stainless dive watch with a retrograde 24-hour sub-dial?

So, the first thing I did was to see if this thing was even 10' waterproof, let alone 20ATM (and the case appears to be the same as the 100ATM model). My homemade pressure tester only goes to 10ATM, but the watch passed with no problems!!!! :) I was really expecting the cheesy helium valve to leave, but no bubbles came out. I'm happy. I bought it as a beater watch, but it looks nice and as long as it is as waterproof as anything I'd ever need, it should work perfectly for me.

Oh, I didn't pull the case back off to check the movement, but when I do a battery change at some point in the future I'll post back what movement is inside mine. Hopefully it is the Seiko.

Andy B.

#16 ·
Just my $0.02. :mad:
It's a big chunk of steel made in China with a $5 Seiko quartz movement. I fell for a similar "deal" once and regret it to this day (I kept it because I wouldn't have the nerve to resell it to anybody, even though I put a decent strap on it). :-[
There are excellent options for true diver watches from Orient, Seiko, Citizen and probably Casio too, for < $150 new, with quartz or automatic movements, and just about everyday some excellent deals on the SCTF. ;)
So... caveat emptor and all that. :))
Cheers,

#17 ·
Aaaaaanywayyy i like the look of the case where it is made or by who i don't really care for. What's driving me is the passion/challenge of making it better and of course the fact that there is a Seiko movement inside.. 5$ og 100$ really i don't care as long as I like it it's 8)

BTW i would not have any probs diving with this model.. IMO it's a nice big chunk a China steel :D and you get what you pay for......

#18 ·
Svand said:
Aaaaaanywayyy i like the look of the case where it is made or by who i don't really care for. What's driving me is the passion/challenge of making it better and of course the fact that there is a Seiko movement inside.. 5$ og 100$ really i don't care as long as I like it it's 8)

BTW i would not have any probs diving with this model.. IMO it's a nice big chunk a China steel :D and you get what you pay for......
You are entitled to your opinion, but actually imho you don't get what you pay for with these watches. ::)
Of course no problem with all that, it's just that since it's not a Japanese watch, this entire discussion does not really belong in this forum. O:)

#19 ·
as are you my friend O:) but i started this topic with the vx-42 in mind ! Not so much the case, bracelet, strap and so on.

If you have an isue im sure the mods will move this topic to another place if this makes you feel more at home :) if anyone post some "offtopic". Really i don't care.

I just wanted to let you know that i think a 500m diver with a vx-42 movement is an ok buy for 55$ i my case.

#21 ·
ADB said:
Just my $0.02. :mad:
It's a big chunk of steel made in China with a $5 Seiko quartz movement. I fell for a similar "deal" once and regret it to this day (I kept it because I wouldn't have the nerve to resell it to anybody, even though I put a decent strap on it). :-[
There are excellent options for true diver watches from Orient, Seiko, Citizen and probably Casio too, for < $150 new, with quartz or automatic movements, and just about everyday some excellent deals on the SCTF. ;)
So... caveat emptor and all that. :))
Cheers,
If you direct me to the source for NEW stainless SHROUDED dive watches for <$150 (or in this case <$90), I'll gladly purchase one. ;)

andy b.

#23 ·
Svand said:
as are you my friend O:) but i started this topic with the vx-42 in mind ! Not so much the case, bracelet, strap and so on.

If you have an isue im sure the mods will move this topic to another place if this makes you feel more at home :) if anyone post some "offtopic". Really i don't care.

I just wanted to let you know that i think a 500m diver with a vx-42 movement is an ok buy for 55$ i my case.
If you are happy with your purchase then it's fine 8) , but the VX-42 0 (zero) jewel movement does not make the watches that include it, Japanese watches. It's just an inexpensive industrial component that Seiko (Citizen, Casio) automated factories churn out in hundreds of millions of units every year, and sell to the Chinese market.

#24 ·
Chris said:
It's an AQUALALUNG / ST. MORITZ / MOMENTUM / Whatever flavor of month brand is, since there's been already said this model comes in a lot of brands printed on the dial. All of them are powered by a VX-42 Seiko quartz movement. This is not new around here. I had one at one point and sold it to a buddy of mine at work for more money than I paid for it. 8)
Mine had the ST. MORITZ brand name printed on it. Bought it on ebay, BNIB, with manual, tag, papers, etc....It came OEM on a watchadoo look-alike bracelet. My buddy just couldn't stand not having the watch for himself. I wore it for a month, than sold it to him. It's a very good watch, by the way.

Since I spotted yours Chris, I had to get one. lol.
Its a great watch, especially if you can get if for decent price.
Bang on time, and good beater that just looks cool.
Cheers, Dave.

#25 ·
catflem said:
+1

They may not be the height of sophistication, but at that price point they are bloody good value, and would make a great beater or holiday watch.
Again this is your opinion but even for $50 they are imho not a good value, more like throwing $50 out the window. I am not sure what you mean by a holiday watch (a watch that lasts about the length of a holiday?) but if you want a beater diver watch then I suggest (for example) a used 6309 in the SCTF, there are plenty of spare parts and the movement itself is very much serviceable, and you'll always be able to resell it for nearly what you'll have invested in it.

#26 ·
ADB said:
If you are happy with your purchase then it's fine 8) , but the VX-42 0 (zero) jewel movement does not make the watches that include it, Japanese watches. It's just an inexpensive industrial component that Seiko (Citizen, Casio) automated factories churn out in hundreds of millions of units every year, and sell to the Chinese market.
:) I KNOW AND SO ? The movement is spot on and this was what i was posting about then. :)) Like i said if you don't like this topic get it moved ? It sounds like thats what you are posting and have an issue with.
Peace m8 O:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.