The Watch Site banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Mechanical watches unfortunately don't know how many days in the month there are! They think all months have 31 days, that's where we have to step in.
Actually some do but they are not very affordable :eek:hmy:

· Registered
210 Posts
Is it really safe to set the minute hand by turning it counter clockwise?
the second hand's movement seems interrupted during the adjustment.
A bit of back pressure won't cause any damage. It's best practice when adjusting the time to go slightly past the time you want, then back a couple of minutes then advance to the correct time. So it's a forward/back/forward movement.

I've had to do this on a regular basis with my 007 (probably twice a month to keep reasonable time). My new monster with the 4R36 movement is so accurate (+/- 2 seconds a day [if at all] depending on overnight positioning) I'm hoping the next time I'll have to unscrew the crown will be next February to adjust the date! Awesome watch :D

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Wilkin, what are you? are you a watchmaker or something? you are awesomely knowledgeable and kind! such a guardian angel you are :D Keep it up!

I kind of have a plan to get one of those SRP Monsters too, maybe after I get back to work again. Wish us luck! :D

· Registered
1,630 Posts
True story: A buddy of mine who owns many many Rolexes couldn't set the time on his wifes TAG and finally ripped out the crown, stem and the whole shebang with pliers. When he went to the watchmakers they asked him why he didn't just unscrew it. This type of thing really happens.

Righty tighty lefty loosey Marv....
I got a 1980's era brand new Russian Boctok Military 200m diver or "amphibian" as the Russians call them for free from a pawn shop in Brooklyn. I took the train into the city to visit a friend and she new I liked watches so she took me to the shop. While looking at some overpriced Russian watches he had he brought out from the back a new unissued Russian military amphibian watch with a nice blue dial and the CCCP logo on the dial. He said if you want you can have this one for free it broken. I thanked him and when I got home later I took a look at the watch. I examined the crown under my lamp and it appeared to be a screw down but it would not unscrew so I grabbed a pair of pliers and a rag and put a little extra into it and it popped loose. It only has one click as it had not day or date feature but the hands set smoothly. I wound the stem a couple times and ir ran. I wore it for a couple days after putting a band on it and not only did it run but it was accurate to within about 3 seconds a day! The only thing I bad thing I could say about it is the power reserve was no better than 24 hours max no matter how much you wound it. It was a manual winder.

· Registered
12 Posts

LOL November 31. Would like what you guys would say about this:eek:
In order to know how many days this month is, it has to know:
What month it is (to set the number of days)
What year it is (to correctly handle February on leap years)
What century it is (because every 400th year is not a leap year).

Watches sold after February in 2000 only have to concern themselves with the last rule as long as the maker and the owner only expect a couple centuries' use out of them. But wouldn't you be disappointed if you were the inheritor of your 18-generations-ago grandfather's Grand Complication chronograph and it shows the wrong date on March 1, 2400?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
@killsnapz: so lucky there, wonder how your shop owner friend would react to knowing that.

@ardgedee: awesome analysis there, I guess I would still be thankful for what it is, being a free heirloom and antique lol

Sorry I don't get around other threads but I'll be trying to.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.