The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just received this watch yesterday, took about 6 days to get here. First off since I'm new to automatic watches so I did the following:

- Found the watch not moving at all during unpacking.
- Shook the watch, played around with its crown and metal ring trying to figure out how to get it to move and no luck.
- Laid the watch and left it alone for a few secs and then found the watch working all of a sudden.
- Getting excited and started to adjust the time and test the lume, the lume wasn't so bright.
- Left it alone again for about 7 hours and then found it stopped moving again.
- Followed an instruction on how to wind an automatic watch on youtube, twirled the crown 30-60 times and then secured it back.
- Left it alone again for about an hour and a half and found it stopped moving again even sooner.

The questions:

- I heard that automatic watches can usually last about 48 hours unworn. Something wrong with my watch?
- Did I miss something?

Any response will mean a lot! Thank you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Automatic watches rely on movement and not every one can be wound from the crown. Wear the watch for a full active day and then see how long it will run on your bedside table.
Most lume will not appear very bright except in total darkness. Some older types of lume have to be exposed to light to "charge" and lose their brightness very quickly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't worry, the 7s26 in there (I assume is a 7S26?) has no hand winding. Shake it till it starts going, set the time, and wear it. It should be fine. As stated above not all auto's have a hand winding feature. The lume needs to be charged by light, sunlight is best. It should grow brightly, but if it's older or an aftermarket dial it might not glow much. I have an older SKX007 and the lume is not very bright at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I love it here, you guys rock for being so responsive and friendly. Few more questions though, if this watch does not have the "hand winding" feature then why can the crown pop out thrice? I know the second stage is for configuring the date/time, the third is for the fingers, but what of the first stage? I mean what is the first pop for? Also I'm still wondering what the rotatable metal ring is for. And yeah I guess I was lucky, could have boiled the watch had I found such a misleading instruction with many thumbs ups xD

·
Registered
80 Posts
No. No. It has only two stops. The first to set the day and date, the second to set the time. What you find as third stop is the neutral position ( crown in) . Nothing occurs there. Then you have to push the crown to force the spring and screw down the crown. The rotating bezel is a timer. You just rotate it and make the triangle point the minute hand. Then the minute hand as it advances will show you the elapsed time in the bezel (for example ten minutes later the hand will point to number 10 in the bezel) this is useful for divers. Regards and enjoy your watch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Boiling it wouldn't damage it, or putting it in the freezer overnight in a jug of water! Remember that Extreme Seiko website that showed those exact same experiments? That SKX came out unscathed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wear it for 8 to 10 hours a day and it will be fine. Give it a few months to settle in and the oils to distribute around the the insides and all will be good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Might be a stupid question but could somebody please remind me which direction I should twirl the crown to in order to screw it back down? clockwise or counter clockwise? I have to make sure I won't cross thread the crown any further. I heard this watch is no longer in production is it true? Also I would like to know how reactive your 7S26 is to a shake cause mine seems to be difficult to stimulate when not moving, had to try various shaking moves in order to get it to move again. You guys are awesome, really. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 009 is alive and well and still available.

To get your watch going swirl it around like you would with a glass of wine, 30 seconds and it will go for several hours.

·
Special Member
4,887 Posts
Might be a stupid question but could somebody please remind me which direction I should twirl the crown to in order to screw it back down? clockwise or counter clockwise? I have to make sure I won't cross thread the crown any further. I heard this watch is no longer in production is it true? Also I would like to know how reactive your 7S26 is to a shake cause mine seems to be difficult to stimulate when not moving, had to try various shaking moves in order to get it to move again. You guys are awesome, really. Keep up the great work.
For a while there I thought you were pulling our leg (fucking with us) but it's possible you're that ignorant about your watch or automatic watches in general. Everyone here has given you the benefit of the doubt, so I'll continue;
Crown screws in clockwise, but most wis guys will counter turn with a little pressure against the crown spring until you feel a slight drop in the threads at that point turn clockwise and thread it in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ray, my gut feeling is that our legs are being well and truly pulled! However I'm sure we'll all go with the flow... ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ray, my gut feeling is that our legs are being well and truly pulled! However I'm sure we'll all go with the flow... ;)
Well... and this is a true story, I had a friend with a Phd in Finance and he had a Cartier be bought used which he kept on a watch winder for 2 years before it stopped one day. He took it to a watchmaker and the watchmaker informed my friend that the watch needed a new battery. I am not making this up.

This guy kind of considered himself kind of a WIS, but more in the status and fashion camp like he proudly owned a Ulysse Nardin too and he thought all of my Seikos were pretty darn loser.

Undergrad Penn, MBA Stanford, Phd GW. For real!

Status schools, status watches, but not much common sense.

Regardless, its ok to ask a question if you don't know!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought the other forum was better, I was wrong, this is the best watch forum in the world. Kudos for you guys all for being so amazingly patient with this dumbass. I wish this wonderful forum had the +rep button like the other one has. You guys are by far better than those next door, keep up the great work. Now I just want to let you know that I never had any bad intentions in my questions at all, it's pure ignorance. I just don't like being knowledgeably and end up frying my stuffs too soon, that's why the questions. Sorry if my questions irritate you all anyway, they're never meant to. Have a nice day my friends. :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts