The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a chance on a watch on ebay, its arrived, it doesn't work and it has signs of rust on the movement and case,
Can it be restored or should I just save the heartache and throw it away?
The model number is 7a28-7039, it looks pretty beaten up but don't want to throw it in case there is a chance it can be restored.
thanks in advance,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Not sure about movement parts (perhaps someone else will chime in on that), but I've been on the lookout for a tachymeter bezel insert for a -7039 for months and haven't turned one up. The movement could at the very least be swapped out if you can track down a donor watch that maybe doesn't look like much but has a strong movement - as the 7a28 movement itself is built like a tank. When considering older watches, I generally let the dial/hands be the deciding factor for me - if the dial is in rough shape or hasn't aged to my taste then I pass as it's by far the toughest piece to come by. Can you post some pics of your watch?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not the best of conditions, but if I can get it working I'll be amazed.
After reading the restoration thread I'm up for it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
99 Posts
As Mr Jones says these models are built to last. If you attempt a restoration you need to be aware that if you remove the main bridge it is a devil of a job to land it back down on all those gears. Before you remove it see if you can turn the wheels with a toothpick and hope you are lucky.

I have only attempted this once and it took me the best part of 24hrs on and off to actually land it. I would not do it again, best of luck to you. There is plenty of info and parts still available

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Just read that WR thread. Superb read.

I have a blue dialed 7a28 that I bought for spares but I ain't confident I could get it to work. I also have no time to do it at the moment either. One day soon and that thread will be a great help.

Best of luck, Tony if and when you take the plunge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts