The Watch Site banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
seiko skx399

i bought a seiko diver watch with stripped nato strap from a tricycle driver for php3,000.00, then brought it to a watch shop and had it examined by their technician and was informed that the movement is clean and legit. i had to search the web for the model number until i came to images of seiko diver models and was surprised that what i had bought was an skx399 on the dial was reference number 1614 and on the case back 7S26-0020 and serial number 640287, there is a slight indentation between minute 50 and index(probably suffered either via a fall or a bump)-otherwise the hardlex crystal is spotless...the case still mint.... AND I AM HAPPY TO READ THAT IT IS COLLECTIBLE......and for php3,000.00? -i think i did good......this is my 5th seiko......i have an skx781, 007, an snzg09 and a seiko superior titanium skz037......my son has a srpa21 and srp315:)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
i bought a seiko diver watch with stripped nato strap from a tricycle driver for php3,000.00, then brought it to a watch shop and had it examined by their technician and was informed that the movement is clean and legit. i had to search the web for the model number until i came to images of seiko diver models and was surprised that what i had bought was an skx399 on the dial was reference number 1614 and on the case back 7S26-0020 and serial number 640287, there is a slight indentation between minute 50 and index(probably suffered either via a fall or a bump)-otherwise the hardlex crystal is spotless...the case still mint.... AND I AM HAPPY TO READ THAT IT IS COLLECTIBLE......and for php3,000.00? -i think i did good......this is my 5th seiko......i have an skx781, 007, an snzg09 and a seiko superior titanium skz037......my son has a srpa21 and srp315:)
Good for you, wear it in good health!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keep a look out for a skx401. Same watch as the 399 but with the pepsi bezel. Even harder to find and more collectable for it. I have a 399 and enjoy it often. 😀

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just got this one in Manila, ser. no. 472320.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
watch model: 399
Acquired Pre-owned
Production date:74
Day wheel English-Spanish

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi all,
2 questions:

- what is supposed to be the correct case back on the 399? I’m looking at one which has ‘JAPAN WP’ just before ‘stainless ...’ but on this thread I’ve seen a few different styles and some that don’t have that bit. Serial starts with 3.

- regarding movements, should these have 7s26A or B?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
14 Posts
Hello, i have got a 401 in good condition. The next days i will post pics and datas here! :)

Regards
Ottone

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Mine, sorry the photo doesn't do them justice

The SKX399 on left has domed crystal with naturally patina'd lume on OEM jubilee.
The SKX399 in the middle and the SKX401 are stock on Strapcode and Uncle Seiko Oysters.
1592703914988.png

·
Registered
364 Posts
My 401 and 399 collection.

I have an incoming Seiko 3308 "President" bracelet, which the SKX401 originally came with during its release.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My 401 and 399 collection.

I have an incoming Seiko 3308 "President" bracelet, which the SKX401 originally came with during its release.
I find that interesting. I have 3308s on my SKXA53 and SKXA55.

I thought the SKX401 came on a rubber strap originally. This from the dealer web site from Seiko USA Parts Department:
Screenshot_20200621-102111.png

·
Registered
364 Posts
I find that interesting. I have 3308s on my SKXA53 and SKXA55.

I thought the SKX401 came on a rubber strap originally. This from the dealer web site from Seiko USA Parts Department:
View attachment 451083
That's the "neighborhood knowledge" passed around in my local Seiko group, Jon.
And you're right, the SKXAA53/55 were released with the 3308.
Maybe you have one to spare for me?

·
Registered
546 Posts
here is my 401 which i bought in 2014 ...used

the blurb that came with the sale is as follows -

Hello!
Up for sale this week is a very rare Seiko SKX401K 7S26-0020 Pepsi diver. This model is very very hard to find and I'm not sure you can get these new anymore. This one is all original and not a franken-Seiko. I have had this diver for many years and never wore it except to try it on. It's been sitting in my watch box for the longest time.
The SKX401K diver is rare because:
  • It has rectangular markers like the North American SKX173 diver;
  • But it has the second hand that is characteristic of the SKX007 divers marketed in Japan and Asia;
  • On the net, various collectors have discovered that this model was made especially for the Southeast Asian and/or Philippines market -- I don't know if that is true or not, but what I do know is that this model does not come up for sale often and some have called it as rare as hen's teeth.
  • Click here to read an article on the SKX401K courtesy of Quartzimodo's Time Journal.
There are no mechanical or cosmetic issues with this watch. It was manufactured in August, 2001, and comes with the original Seiko Z-22 wave strap. It has an English-Roman day wheel. As I mentioned, this diver has been sitting in my watch box for a long time -- I think I got it in 2003 or so, and I have never worn it except to try it on when I first got it. There are some very minor scuff marks from handling here and there. But overall this watch is a near pristine condition. It's time for me to pass it onto another collector. If you're a Seiko diver collector, you should already know how rare this one is.
I've tried to describe the condition of the watch as accurately as possible but if you have questions please feel free to contact me.
The watch is in Northern California and I can ship as soon as I receive Paypal confirmation of payment.
(The mechanical pencil in the pics is a prop and is not included.)
Thank you for checking out my listing and good luck on your bidding!
-Kevin Chan

s4a.PNG
s4b.PNG

·
Registered
546 Posts
my 399 is serial 683537
has english roman wheel

sales blurb was - (from an scwf guy called ekuek ??)

FS: Rare Seiko SKX-399 $xxx shipped CONUS w extra strap
I'm selling my SKX-399 on the original Seiko jubilee which is sized for my 7.5" wrist and will include all extra links. This is easily 95% and I can see no blemishes anywhere aside from some very minor hairlines underneath on the lugs from strap changes. The bezel, insert and crystal are all perfect. The bracelet has only the slightest desk diver marks.
399a.PNG

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Thank you @boid69. "It was manufactured in August, 2001, and comes with the original Seiko Z-22 wave strap. "

I believe the SKX401 and its brother the SKX399 both originally came on rubber. That said, they are both very much better suited on a stainless bracelet to my eye, given the chrome hour marker surrounds.

That is what the Seiko USA parts list shows, a Z22 wave strap. The 4FY8JZ to be exact.
Seiko Ocenia lists the proper strap as the 4FY8JZ as well.
Watchsleuth.com shows this, only describing the strap as black rubber:

Over on WUS a thread with this same name shows a fellow claiming he bought his SKX399 New In Box and it clearly has the wave vent rubber strap:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts