The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to purchase a quality set calipers and was wondering if anyone has recommendations? In my initial research, I see a lot with hardened steel jaws. I would think that for delicate things like acrylic crystals or not wanting to scratch a case, the jaws would be of a different material? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A good question. I do quite a few precision measurements for my work, and have a variety of calipers and micrometers.

For home use I have a nice 0-6" Starrett with digital display. It has hardened jaws.
I also have a General Tool plastic caliper 6 In. Plastic Dial Caliper with Inches Readout - Calipers & Micrometers - PRECISION MEASURING & MARKING - Hand Tools | General Tools & Instruments. It is "good enough" for most measurements and has plastic jaws.

That being said, you can buy some nice metal calipers and put electrical tape on the jaws. Then re-zero them and you're good to go - non-marring jaws. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Never thought about the tape and rezeroing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also have numerous calipers and micrometers both vintage and modern and my go-to ones are both Mitutoyo one set is plastic and one hardened steel and for me they have different uses but overall I use the steel set more frequently. I am a Starrett fan, but not of their digital caliper, I don't like the control button locations or the bulkiness of the head, but it may just have been because my model had digital outputs and my Mitutoyo's do not.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, David! I have lots of good options now I think. Very helpful.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Fowler isn't a dial it is a vernier, the dial is a Mitutoyo, here is a pic of all of my calipers in one place. The small vernier caliper by the Brown & Sharpe mic is a Starrett and measures diameter on one scale and reads circumference on the other.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gentlemen, thank you all for your advice. I went with the this Mitutoyo. My watchmaker wraps cases or other parts that could be scratched with wax paper to deal with the hardened jaws issue. He said he was not a fan of plastic calipers. The duct tape wrap and rezeroing makes perfect sense too.
463F645F-A07B-480B-846B-0C457F9BD888.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts