The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things had been a little slack on the tinkering front recently, apart from no watch projects to do the weather had been sunny and I was forced into doing chores. A couple of spares purchases on Ebay had plans being made for projects as and when the rain would allow.

I had bought a cheep 6139-8002 a few months ago to play with but it turned out to be a parts drawer special, some enterprising sole made a watch from all their leftover broken crap. The movement got separated for parts but I refurbished the heavily dented case with a file and mirror polished it. The final finish is by car body preparation pads (like Scotchbrite but finer grades) to achieve a satin finish.

The crystal was badly scratched and chipped but I could not find a replacement, Speedy had told me the 320W28GN is like hens teeth a while ago, so after asking Stefan if he could help I had to spend a few hours sanding and polishing to restore it. The polishing was OK, perfectly transparent and blemish free but for the chipped edges which I could do nothing about. Then a couple of days later Stefan emailed to say he had found a 320W28GN, better late than never :biggrin: But seriously, many thanks to the guy for taking the time and effort to remember and look for one.

The movement came form a lot of disassembled 6002 parts from Ebay. It was quite clean but upon stripping down I found several problems with it. The third wheel was broken and several screws missing. During reassembly I noticed the minute recording wheel was very stiff in the chronograph bridge. 6139 tinkerers will know it should be as loose as a goose or the movement will stall when the minutes advance. I had a close look with a x20 loupe and it appears some enterprising watchmaker had punched the bearing hole in the bridge. The type of bodge a clockmaker would make to an old crude clock to take up bearing clearance rather than ream out the hole and fit a bush. After broaching with a fine needle all was well and following a full service the movement works a treat and I did not have to adjust it at all.

The dial I had in the parts, originally from India and for a previous project that did not get used. Aftermarket dial choice is limited for the 8002 because they are slightly larger in diameter than the 60xx etc. After a bit of consideration I decided to use some Autodiver hands that I had previously used on another custom 6139 project, I felt although they are pretty powerful in size the shape was appropriate and the chrome added a little sparkle. I did paint some standard 6002 hands white and relume them but they did not look right.

The chronograph hands were used items I had in the spare hands drawer that got stripped and sprayed Fiat Broom Yellow.

The pushers and stem/crown were selected from the best of my spares and new gaskets fitted. The whole lot was finally put together this weekend due to inclement weather:93:

I have ordered a cheep stainless steel bracelet for it that is similar to the original Seiko fitment but in the interim fitted a nylon strap from cousins that cost about £1.50 that I like.

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
Great job Mike! Another save in the WIS World of Wisdom........:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts