The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this as a subject of often why people buy what they do when it comes to vintage collectibles, that we often buy what we lusted after but could not afford when young. I don't remember if it was the Western Auto or the Hardware store by my house but I looked at this watch in the display case many many times. I already had a "big ben" by Westclox and the watches and knives and lighters were all in the same area in both stores. I just never had the $$ to pony up for it, I spent it elsewhere, typically knives tools or ammo. Fast forward 35 or so years and this was offered to me for $20 and I spit my coffee when I saw the pic in his email. That was more than 15 years ago and it sits in a box with some other watch stuff, it is identical to the one I remembered as a child and still makes me smile when I take it out. It is new old stock and has almost no handling marks at all, a really great novelty watch that many of you may remember.
west1.jpg
west2.jpg
west3.jpg

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing one of those but then again I live north of the 49th. Still I think it's very cool and I like the premise of contemplating what you lusted for as a kid and what you can now afford as an "adult". The parentheses are deliberate considering we still act like kids at times ;) I'm not sure there was anything watch related I wanted as a kid aside from Dick Tracy's watch or the one James Coburn wore in the Flint movies. The fomer can be had in the guise odf an Apple watch I suppose but I haven't seen a watch with a defibrillator yet. I would imagine there might be many who lusted after the James Bond pieces and while I could afford the straps, those Rolex ones are probably another matter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice to get a NOS!

The watches I wanted as kid in the ads in National Geographic seemed so far away at the time.

Fortunately I have bought them now, a few decades later!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts