The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this as a subject of often why people buy what they do when it comes to vintage collectibles, that we often buy what we lusted after but could not afford when young. I don't remember if it was the Western Auto or the Hardware store by my house but I looked at this watch in the display case many many times. I already had a "big ben" by Westclox and the watches and knives and lighters were all in the same area in both stores. I just never had the $$ to pony up for it, I spent it elsewhere, typically knives tools or ammo. Fast forward 35 or so years and this was offered to me for $20 and I spit my coffee when I saw the pic in his email. That was more than 15 years ago and it sits in a box with some other watch stuff, it is identical to the one I remembered as a child and still makes me smile when I take it out. It is new old stock and has almost no handling marks at all, a really great novelty watch that many of you may remember.
west1.jpg
west2.jpg
west3.jpg

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing one of those but then again I live north of the 49th. Still I think it's very cool and I like the premise of contemplating what you lusted for as a kid and what you can now afford as an "adult". The parentheses are deliberate considering we still act like kids at times ;) I'm not sure there was anything watch related I wanted as a kid aside from Dick Tracy's watch or the one James Coburn wore in the Flint movies. The fomer can be had in the guise odf an Apple watch I suppose but I haven't seen a watch with a defibrillator yet. I would imagine there might be many who lusted after the James Bond pieces and while I could afford the straps, those Rolex ones are probably another matter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice to get a NOS!

The watches I wanted as kid in the ads in National Geographic seemed so far away at the time.

Fortunately I have bought them now, a few decades later!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It’s a pretty common theme.
I have a decent amount of friends and colleagues that had very humble and poor beginnings.
When I was out of HS and had my first real job,
I was able to buy a stuff like a real brand pair of jeans or good running shoes Imcould not afford before.
My monthly salary before taxes 30 or 35 years ago,
corrected for inflation to Today‘s dollars,
is what I get paid for a day Now.

Back then I had to sacrifice to buy a $40 real KBAR instead of the $20 dollar generic one, could not even consider some expensive Gerber BMF or Buckmaster, and only dream of a Randall.

It was a significant expense to buy a $130 6309. Paying ten times as much for a Sub was not even a realistic consideration.

A struggle for a car payment, insurance, gas, and maintenance.

Buying stuff like that is a hobby, fun expense sort of thing now.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I recently got a second hand (excellent condition $25 + post) pair of Asics Tiger retro running shoes like the pair I (and a HS friend) coveted in a sports shop window when I was a teen.

I still really like them / they're still really cool ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts