The Watch Site banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
30,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some old emails looking for an address(do you guys save your emails ? i have 8GB of them going back years !! once a hoarder always a hoarder :)) and came across this old experience and i wondered who you would think was right/wrong ?

Please note i am neither the buyer or seller :) this transaction took place on a forum and not ebay.

For Sale a vintage Seiko chronograph advertised as all working fine.

Buyer contacts seller and says he will have it and the deal is done.

Buyer receives the watch and on checking the watch finds the sub dial second hand does not return to zero and contacts the seller and informs him of the problem.

Seller asks the buyer to send the watch to a third party chosen by the seller.

Buyer does not want to do this and informs the seller he would rather return the watch for a refund.

Seller replies that he will have to inspect the watch when it returns to see if it is in the same condition as when shipped and assuming all in order will refund in a few weeks time when convenient to him.

text from sellers email:

Regardless of the condition of the watch, I will also never ever do business with you under any circumstances. Additionally, I will make sure that every regular poster here knows how you do business, how you test drive watches, and that you aren't to be trusted.

I will be issuing a refund (based on the above conditions) when funding allows, entirely of my own volition. I would be entirely within my rights to refuse a refund as there certainly was no refund guarantee mentioned in the ad. I offered to fix the watch at absolutely no cost to you, which for some reason was not acceptable. This means there was another reason for you to return the watch - this falls under the heading of "buyers remorse" which is not something I would ever give a refund for.

There is no need to reply to this - I will not read any response from you. You will either get a refund via Paypal, or the watch back via FedEx. That's it.

Other than using our forum to make money for yourself and apparently test-drive watches, you appear to be a mere parasite, and I'll do my best to make sure that my fellow contributing board members are inoculated against you.

Buyer returned watch to seller.

Buyer received refund less shipping costs.

Verdict.

Was the buyer being picky ?

Was the buyer being unreasonable ?

Was the seller acting as we all would in the circumstances ?

Niether buyer or seller were new to forum buying and selling.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
If the watch WASN'T working as advertised the the seller was being a bit of a ****. However, he did offer to have it sorted at his own expense by a third party so that saved him from being a total ****.

It has to be recognised that the issue could have been caused by it being dropped etc during transit, something neither party has any control over. Even so I think the buyer was well within his rights to ask for a refund.

I've only sold one watch via the forum and quite a lot via ebay. So far i've only had 2 come back to me out of hundreds. One was due to the date not changing and the other the alarm didn't work. No idea what caused the first one but the alarm was my fault for losing one of those little springs (didn't notice it had gone) when i did a battery change just before posting.

I refunded both promptly including return postage.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Have to side with the buyer here, watch not working as described, see no reason to get a third party involved, send back watch, receive refund, case closed.
I thought the seller was a bit harsh. This just based on what I see here, no prior history or reputation.

Rob

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry but there is not enough data to properly give a judgement of right or wrong.

However the seller email seems to be a little strong and in fact a little too strong which to me is an indicator in his disfavor.

That the buyer just wanted a refund for a misaligned hand seems also a little drastic, if he wanted the watch in the first place. So maybe it was buyer remorse, however he might also have decided that, since the seller did not disclose this, he (the seller) was not to be trusted. On the same token he might have done himself something wrong to put the hand out of place.

Different views from different viewpoints.

We don't know what exactly went on and only see a little of their views which does not mean necessarily that either one is right or wrong. The hand could have fallen out of alignment after a hit or fall of the box during shipping for example.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have to say that this is a bit of a strange post. If you (John) were the seller or buyer, I could understand it (I'm a bit of a hoarder\grudge bearer myself :57:).

My take on this is that we don't know all the information.

However, I would say that IMO the seller was rather strong in his reaction. I would always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt as it could have been a postal mishap.Unless of course he'd had previous dealings with the buyer, in which case he may have felt justified ? Or maybe he's just an AH.

If it were me as the buyer, I would have asked for a refund, unless I knew the seller and I'd been asked to send it to someone I know and trust to do the repair.

I was under the impression that sales on the SCTP (and maybe other forums, as you said "A forum") were between the individuals concerned and not regulated or interfered with by the Mods ? Was this matter so serious that it needed Mod involvement ?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
when I sell a watch, I ALWAYS wait until I hear from the buyer and refund if he's not totally satisfied. I will ask that the buyer post a short vid of the issue on youtube if I don't know him (ie never dealt with him previously).

the seller in this example would be banned from any forum I ran w/o a second thought. the watch may have been fine when he sent it out, BUT I rather not have his attitude in any place I hung out.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
261 Posts
if I sell and buyer doesn't like it something is amiss, I can offer to fix or simply refund. I don't wanna get into slap fight with our members. like they say...KEEP IT SIMPLE!
jim

·
Administrator
30,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to say that this is a bit of a strange post. If you (John) were the seller or buyer, I could understand it (I'm a bit of a hoarder\grudge bearer myself :57:).

My take on this is that we don't know all the information.

However, I would say that IMO the seller was rather strong in his reaction. I would always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt as it could have been a postal mishap.Unless of course he'd had previous dealings with the buyer, in which case he may have felt justified ? Or maybe he's just an AH.

If it were me as the buyer, I would have asked for a refund, unless I knew the seller and I'd been asked to send it to someone I know and trust to do the repair.

I was under the impression that sales on the SCTP (and maybe other forums, as you said "A forum") were between the individuals concerned and not regulated or interfered with by the Mods ? Was this matter so serious that it needed Mod involvement ?
Hi Danni,

I dident mean it to come across as "strange" :)

The buyer in this deal has a rock solid reputation across the forums and obviously was concerned that if the sellers MO was to spread nastiness over the internet it could of ruined his reputation in part because as we know when a thread like that starts you get:

The holier than thou hypocrites.

The arm chair warriors come out.

The persons who want to show how big they are :)

The out and out liers who just like to stir the ****.

The ones who want to join "the gang".

The weak coward type who keeps to the periphery but tries to put the boot in when the person is being attacked by many.

Basically the **** rises to the top :) and as we all know even if a person is proved totally innocent there will always be some one who will still think "I wonder" :)

As we all know if we read it on the Internet then it must be true !!! :)

A couple of forum mods did get a little involved but were told by the seller if they felt that strong about it then they should refund the buyer :)

·
Administrator
30,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been asked if the seller (or indeed the buyer) have been active on the SCWF in the last month, so just to clarify, neither have posted on the SCWF (well not with the original user name) in quite some time for one reason or another.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like you are dragging up the past to try and seek revenge on someone that has blighted you.

It looks like it's time to leave this forum, if this is what a Moderator has sunk to.

Has this got something to do with your resent crystal embarrassment?

Brian

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Sounds like you are dragging up the past to try and seek revenge on someone that has blighted you.

It looks like it's time to leave this forum, if this is what a Moderator has sunk to.

Brian
don't let the door hit you on the way out.

many, who didn't comment, didn't think the crystal thing was an issue at all. I was a friend of jonathan and didn't see any ill will at all in that previous post.

if one doesn't like a post, then just hit the "back" button, it's pretty simple really.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Brian

Pretty low post count to start being a douche. I didn't see any ill will or need for embarrassement in either of the aforementioned posts either.
Tigers reputation and veracity are top drawer in my books.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
many, who didn't comment, didn't think the crystal thing was an issue at all.
<* shark >>><
I'm curious as how you came to this conclusion? Unless you talked to all of the "many" you mention, how could you be certain about anyone else but yourself? From my take some people weren't bothered and others were, like most issues.

I'm really curious, not asking to start an argument.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
After removing a name-calling post, I'd please ask those of you who are participating in this discussion to remember decorum and thoughtfulness for others when posting, as the forum rules require.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.