The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok sold a Seiko 7T92 on ebay with a stainless bracelet for a BIN with best offer. I accepted less than the asking price which I was happy with. Buyer does not pay for a couple of days and I put in a an unpaid case. What usually happens in these cases were a buyer does not pay is they want to back out. In this case the buyer pays. I send the item on the 22nd and he receives on 24th which I thought was great but he state the watch strap is broken on the 24th. Well it wasn't when I sent it out. Mind you I had disconnected the strap spring bar and put it in the clasp so the watch was flat and could be bubble wrapped easily. So I said politely no the strap was in fact not broken but sent out like that because the strap would have to be adjusted to buyer's wrist size anyway. I also think that a closed strap might get damaged more easily in the post if crushed and will fit through a standard letter box easily, but that's another discussion. Next thing I get is the following on Christmas day and boxing day from buyer....Now I have sold maybe 40 watches this year no problems then this one comes along.

Buyer:
The clasp on the strap is broken, it is unwearable and will need a repair.

YOU:
Hi I sent it out disconnected so it would not break. The pin is in the clasp to adjust to your wrist size. Thanks.

Buyer:
Hi
The reset button on the stop watch keeps sticking..
This was advertised as being in good condition, the case is scratched to high hell.
Please advise or i will have to open an ebay case regarding this.
£50 for a watch in this condition is not on.

YOU:
Send the watch back for a refund.

Buyer:
Would take a partial refund to get things repaired. Additional faff of sending it back and I do like the dial etc, would just like problems rectified.

YOU:
I would rather have the watch returned for a refund, but would consider £5 maximum refund to sort this on this occasion. Thanks

Buyer:
Given that the pin that was required to make the clasp work was missing (cost 5 quid to get it sorted) and that I will have to get the chrono button sorted out (no idea what that will cost) I think at least £10 would be adequate.

Consider the fact that you've sold a kinda broken seiko quartz watch for 40 quid a blessing!

YOU:
Sorry rather have the watch back please.

Buyer:
will just leave negative feedback, youre an awful, awful seller.

YOU:
Of course so awful I offered refund and partial refund and answered your questions over Christmas. Get real.

Now how do I get ebay to revoke this negative the watch was working fine. I had even worn it a couple of days.

"watch in awful condition, buttons not working, strap broken. awful seller"

If it was so bad why did the buyer not send the watch back????????? Extortion?????

I know its not a lot of money its the principle here.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
See my last post in the beware of this seller on eBay a few thread down. My story is exactly the same as your except it was a model kit I sold at a 50% discount.
Buyer "it warped"
Me "send it back for a full refund"
buyer "just give me $10 dollar more off and I will keep it"
Me "you already got a 50% discount off retail if it is damaged and I will issue a full refund plus your shipping."
buyer " you knew the part was broken when you send it. Just give me $10 dollars so I can buy another one and I will keep the kit"

A bunch more garbage back and forth and him calling me a liar once he figured out he could not extort another $10 dollars from me. In the end its been three days and I have not received a return claim or heard from him since.
I actually told him if you don't like my terms just go leave me bad feedback. eBay does not care about bad feedback and I don't either. I have no received bad feedback from him as of yet either?
I think they should change the name of it from eBay to scumbay because every scammer in the world knows how to play the eBay system to sleal.

Michael

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
Bad buyers or sellers can happen to all of us but i really think you have to cover your own back as much as you can!!

So when it comes to selling I nearly always send a watch packed in a box, costs more to ship but IMO safer, you say a jiffy bag will go through a letter box, was it not insured and tracked requiring a signature ? if not sent signed for you are leaving yourself open to non receipt claims ?

What you did with the bracelet is fine for most WIS guys but..............I know if it was my son he wouldent be able to fix it and would think it broke he just isent that way inclined and i dare say many other guys are not able to do what to us is a "nothing" job.

Cover your back as amongst all the good people out there there is also a lot of dross as well, sad but true.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What you did with the bracelet is fine for most WIS guys but..............I know if it was my son he wouldent be able to fix it and would think it broke he just isent that way inclined and i dare say many other guys are not able to do what to us is a "nothing" job.
I think this is the crux of it, the buyer didnt understand what you did, assumed it was broken and then started looking for issues.....

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
Buyer:

No I think this is the crux of it (This guy had every intention from the start to pressure him if he didnt get what he wanted) When peoples threaten feedback they have no intention of negotiation or wanting to understand, buyers remorse, etc etc, whatever reason? to threaten feedback is not the way to resolve!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Seikochrono you got it. Putting pressure on me to get money off no matter what. This person had to find something negative and when the strap was explained buyer then made stuff up about the watch. If the watch was so bad why not send it back for a full refund. How "awful" a suggestion is that!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Buyer:

No I think this is the crux of it (This guy had every intention from the start to pressure him if he didnt get what he wanted) When peoples threaten feedback they have no intention of negotiation or wanting to understand, buyers remorse, etc etc, whatever reason? to threaten feedback is not the way to resolve!
I would have to agree with you also. There is a large influx of buyers these days threatening sellers with bad feedback after the sale looking to get the item even cheaper. I see the pattern. You offer them a full refund plus return shipping and they are still mad and keep nagging and threatening and complaining. How many of these so called defective items actually get returned when they can not extort more money. Not to many that I have read about.
I know I just recently received a watch that was listed as running perfectly. When I received it the Chronograph function did not work. I emailed the seller politely and he offered money off. I politely declined and asked for a full refund with the return of the watch. The seller was close and refunded my money in two days and relisted it with the defect I told him about in the description now.

Michael

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I tend to fold like a cheap suit and just agree to whatever the few pricks among the crowd of good ebay buyers want.

Like my lady buyer who overwound the movement and told me it was broken. Yes it was - AFTER SHE broke it ! So what are the odds I can reason with her and let her see that she did it? Zero, so I refund the money in full.

Look, selling on fleabay means expecting a percentage of sales to be deals gone bad, unfounded partial refunds and flat-out scams. Sorry but that is what evilbay is. I just accept it for what (little) it is. Fleabay is not the poster child for fair commerce.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I tend to fold like a cheap suit and just agree to whatever the few pricks among the crowd of good ebay buyers want.

Like my lady buyer who overwound the movement and told me it was broken. Yes it was - AFTER SHE broke it ! So what are the odds I can reason with her and let her see that she did it? Zero, so I refund the money in full.

Look, selling on fleabay means expecting a percentage of sales to be deals gone bad, unfounded partial refunds and flat-out scams. Sorry but that is what evilbay is. I just accept it for what (little) it is. Fleabay is not the poster child for fair commerce.

I agree with you with the main point being just send me my item back and I'll fix it. It's the scum that break it and then want money and want to keep the item too. I'll take the hit for the broken item but no way will I let a buyer benefit from damaging an item and then making me pay to fix it so they can keep it. Full refund and give me my item back. Still you get a lot of buyers pitch a fit when they can't get money back and keep the item.

Michael

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Whatever you do, don't forget to make a reply to the neg feedback saying that you offered the full refund including shipping. This will shed some light that bidders can see. I know I pay attn to them.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whatever you do, don't forget to make a reply to the neg feedback saying that you offered the full refund including shipping. This will shed some light that bidders can see. I know I pay attn to them.

<* shark >>><

Thanks for reminding me. Wasn't obvious to find, but did a search and left the following reply.

"A full refund offered. Buyer declined. Numerous question answered & still a neg?"

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. Wasn't obvious to find, but did a search and left the following reply.

"A full refund offered. Buyer declined. Numerous question answered & still a neg?"
When I see those comments in a sellers feedback I never count them against the seller. What more can a seller do than give you a 100% refund if the buyer is not happy with the item regardless of why. Only a scammer would push the issue. Even someone who knows they broke it would be 100% happy with being able to return it and be even with a refund.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love "ebay" threads - I sell professionally on there (not watches).

Sorry for the lengthy post:

Do you have a "returns policy" that was on the item listing (not necessarily within the text of the description, but somewhere on the listing). If you do, you should be golden. RING ebay, yes, RING - email is mostly a waste of time. Explain to them that you feel the buyer was not willing to work with you regarding the return, refer ebay to your return policy for that listing, and then ask them to read the ebay messages. Ebay will see your return policy, see that the buyer chose to ignore both that, as well as your email offer (hopefully the return policy and your offer do not contradict each other) and they will remove the feedback completely. It will be like it never existed, no DSR, no "comment removed by ebay", zilch.

If you do NOT have returns policy you can still call but not very good chance I am afraid. Ring them, when they answer, first thing you say is "Hello ****, how are you today?" in your most pleasant, smiling voice. If they give you an upbeat, happy answer, go for it; if they seem to be a grumpy so and so, do not even ask about the feedback, ask them something else which has nothing to do with it, say thanks, hang up, and ring back later. Something like "I just wanted to make sure that ebay has extended times for postage over xmas / new year as I do not want any "item not received" claims due to holidays".

Also, I IGNORE the feedback follow up left by Sellers - I feel that if the seller was really in the right they would have the feedback removed. :)

Edit: just found the watch you sold, "no returns accepted" - guess you will have to try your luck and find a nice ebay staffer...

WT

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What phone number do you have for ebay?

I once tried but couldn't find one.
Thank you in advance.

They've got a "call me" facility that works a treat. Get it through the contact us page.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts