The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, you are looking for a particular watch - in my case a 7549-7000/9 Golden Tuna. You can afford to buy a decent runner or a junky looking project. The runner will probably be nice and really won't need anything unless you want to have it re-lumed. The project might wind up costing more than the runner once you get it into the same condition as the runner.

Which one do you usually go for? I find myself drawn to the project watches........

·
Registered
88 Posts
When you have a narrow focus on a single model you will know the watch when you see it, just be patient and willing to walk away but also willing and able to pull the trigger when it "clicks" and you will be happy in the end. Buying "condition" is rarely a disappointment, just saying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm torn between the two options.... I truly believe that the wise move is to buy the best condition one can afford - it's hard to bring a watch back that has a lot of cosmetic issues when the parts are rare.... But I am always tempted towards the unwise move of taking a chance on a beat up non-runner to see if I can bring it back..... Maybe the answer is to do both:unsure:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm always torn. Getting another beater ( I love wearing a 6139, 6309, 7548 to work without fear of banging it up) or getting something that's so nice, it never makes it out of the house.
But yeah, buy the best you can afford sounds like good advice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought this one....

But I really wanted to buy this one......

The dial and hands look great.... I was mainly worried about the bezel since I understand the insert cannot be changed and a new one is quite rare and expensive.... Of course, the movement might be trashed, too, but I doubt it with a dial like that....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts