The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

I don't recall if this was posted here, though it went on MWR about a week ago. The British Ministry of Defence is apparently going to issue a Citizen Eco Drive dive watch, specifically model BN0000-04H. 300M WR, 43mm diameter (I think 40mm without crown or guards), 12mm thick, 20mm strap width, one-piece stainless steel case, and mineral crystal. Here's the posting info:

The new watch is Citizen Eco drive analogue.

NSN is 0883-99-852-5953 Watch, divers. (note change from 6645)

Number issued is 750.

SF Medical Support units get 14 (SBS) and 14 (SAS)

RN SF Diving Units SDU1 and 2 recieve 30 each.

SBS get 90

MW vessels get 6 each.

RN EOD get 15/20 per unit.

It is to be used on its (provided) expanding black rubber strap.

The watch has matt steel case, black dial and bezel insert and will be engraved. (MOD nomenclature on caseback)

No fixed bars sadly

Important Note "It is not personal issue but PLR issue to individuals by units"

BN0000-04H
(from Princeton Watches)

Mahalo,

andy

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sorry, but where can I look up all the abbreviations you used?
I guess MOD is Minestry Of Defense, but what are SF, RN, SBS, MW and EOD standing for?

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes Axel,MOD is Ministry Of Defence. RN is Royal Navy, SBS is Special Boat Service,SF is Special Forces. I'm not sure about the last two you mention,i've not heard of those two. -Andy

·
Registered
964 Posts
snootydog said:
Yes Axel,MOD is Ministry Of Defence. RN is Royal Navy, SBS is Special Boat Service,SF is Special Forces. I'm not sure about the last two you mention,i've not heard of those two. -Andy

Thanks a lot, Andy, I'm not familiar with this military jargon, so it's hard for me to get it.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
688 Posts
I saw that on MWR Andy. I think it's a great choice. Simple watch, highly visible at-a-glance hands and dial, Eco-drive means no batteries to run out, tough one-pc. case, and a good size for anyone with a 6" to 8" wrist. I bought one for my wife a few years ago and it's going strong. The hands are a bit funky for special forces, though...... ;) I wonder why they didn't choose a steel aqualand......

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know that EOD is explosives-ordinance-demolition or something like that - i.e. very brave and clever people who defuse bombs. I'd take a guess that MW is mine warfare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a Brit I found this very interesting Andy, thanks for the heads-up. I've also looked up MWR which is also good.

Just wondering what "PLR issue" means?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Very interesting news. I have to wonder now whether this watch, which has been popular but because of it's funky hands ad somewhat smaller size has never gotten a lot of collector attention, will now see a flood of people buying them and a huge price jump just because of this. if so, if kind of speaks to the nature of the collecting market doesn't it?

·
Registered
659 Posts
bob1951 said:
I like the similar model that's sold in Japan....has, IMHO, betterr looking hands.
Just wanted to add to this old thread since I've been enjoying my BN0000-04H for the past couple months.

Looks like the BN0000-04H hands were inspired by the Benrus Ultra Deep as pointed out by andy_s in this thread on another forum: http://www.hsv.org.uk/topic.asp?h=27&f=187&t=853563

(image borrowed from [url]http://www.wannabuyawatch.com/images/36897.jpg[/url] )

The supplied rubber strap for the BN0000-04H was comfortable, but somewhat short on my 8.25" wrist so the end of the strap kept popping out of the two small keepers. After trying out a couple Seiko straps (including the Marine Master strap and a Z22 flat vent), as well as on a 22mm Watchadoo filed down to 20mm, I finally decided on a Wjean28 shark mesh bracelet, which is very comfortable and allows a lot more air flow in this muggy Georgia heat. The spring bars that came with the BN0000-04H actually fit in the shark mesh even though they are slightly fatter than traditional spring bars, yet thinner than Seiko fat spring bars. Here's a video I made of the watch/bracelet combo:
[MEDIA=youtube]1IUbk3aVJho[/MEDIA]

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Look at the shot from Amazon - the lume pip in the bezel insert is off-center. Is that just my imagination? What's the build quality on these? Yes, the obvious answer is "rock solid" since the MOD decided they were the going thing, but the pip inspires me to ask.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Spencer said:
Look at the shot from Amazon - the lume pip in the bezel insert is off-center. Is that just my imagination? What's the build quality on these? Yes, the obvious answer is "rock solid" since the MOD decided they were the going thing, but the pip inspires me to ask.
If you pause my video at around the 24 second mark you can see that my lume pip is nice and centered. The build quality seems great on mine. I wanted a classic sized diver and at the price these are going for (around $169 USD) these seem too good to be true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to give this thread a little update.

The Ministry of Defence confirms the Citizen BN0000-4H is their current diver's watch! :)

It's at the gov.uk website FOI2014/05465

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
PLR = permanent loan record. Probably the RN equivalent of an Army G1098 "starred item" - which is used to record the loan of a high value item.
"502 PERMANENT LOAN RECORD (PLR) – S1099 SERIES
502.1 On formation of a Unit a detailed PLR, which will provide a record of all
accountable stores issued to the Unit, will be prepared by SCC Stores. The No 2 copy
will be sent to the Commanding Officer, who when satisfied that the stores listed have
been received is to sign the certificate inside the cover accepting responsibility. All
subsequent issues and/or returns of stores are to be dealt with as indicated in this
Section."
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CIABEBYwDA&url=http://www.sccheadquarters.com/data/sites/1/media/admin/regulations/ascr/ascr3-storeregulations.pdf&ei=G61gVNaKI-SR7AbDsoCICg&usg=AFQjCNHRacgj36HLX4FTBdncPRX5tKkq7Q&sig2=NOqclz8MIUo-70hmXLwUog

1 - 20 of 31 Posts