The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I posted this over at WUS and got no help so I hope someone here knows.

So I have two vintage mid 90's Aqualands, one is a B741 Eco Drive and the other is 3745 (non eco drive) full lume

(not my pics btw but mine are identical to these)

The problem I am having is that both watches show "max depth" at all times.

On the first one, since it is eco drive, the chrono hand is technically supposed to point to the charge level, as shown in the pic. However on my watch the chrono hand is always pointing to the little red square/circle symbol instead. I have done the reset procedure, during which the watch indicates NG for an hour and then switches back to square/circle and remains there. I have tried washing the water sensor located at 10:00 and also submerging the watch in a bowl of water for a few minutes and it didn't do anything.

On the 3745 with the fully lumed dial you have to manually enter dive mode, at which point the chrono hand should indicate "0 ft" to begin your dive. My chrono hand however points again to the little orange square/circle maximum depth symbol although I am not even near water. Upon exiting dive mode it returns to its correct position of "EXIT".

Besides this the watches work fabulously and I love them. If anyone could point me in the correct direction it would be much appreciated, and by that I mean write ups or youtube videos or other forum posts.

My gut tells me this hopefully isn't a hardware problem and I would rather not send the watch out and try to fix this at the bench. I really hope there is someone out there that has done these themselves that can offer some insight. The chrono and everything else works great. These watches are so awesome, I just want them to be fully dive capable.

Thanks guys!

·
Researcher
5,213 Posts
Screenshot_20201223-210732.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 7s26, while the manual is definitely helpful it doesnt really describe my problem in detail.

my watch isnt pointing to any of the charge indicators, its pointing to the little red box with the dot that indicates maximum depth.

Im hoping someone had had to troubleshoot this issue because info has been very hard to find about this particular problem.

The 3741 seems to hold charge and the chrono functions fine. It enters dive mode and the hands all seem to do what they are supposed to do. In normal wearing though it points to max depth.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If your Aqualand shows max depth I would check my air reserves. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Haha its hard to tell sarcasm in written form 😅
Oh, not sarcasm really, more bemusement over the silliness of Aqualand depth gauges in general. I have a C023 and I have always loved the overall aesthetic but with that tiny illegible lcd I cannot imagine anyone depending on it for a critical measurement. The analog displays wouldn't seem to be much better. A well designed diver to track lapsed time is still a usable tool and could be a critical backup device. Relying on one to provide depth readings in the deep dark just seems dangerous. Full Disclosure - if any of my watches see more than 2bar of pressure they have fallen off my wrist or I have drowned. 😂

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, not sarcasm really, more bemusement over the silliness of Aqualand depth gauges in general. I have a C023 and I have always loved the overall aesthetic but with that tiny illegible lcd I cannot imagine anyone depending on it for a critical measurement. The analog displays wouldn't seem to be much better. A well designed diver to track lapsed time is still a usable tool and could be a critical backup device. Relying on one to provide depth readings in the deep dark just seems dangerous. Full Disclosure - if any of my watches see more than 2bar of pressure they have fallen off my wrist or I have drowned. 😂
I agree about 80%.

To play devil's advocate for Citizen, they specifically state one should never depend on the watch alone for a dive, and that it should be a back up to a proper stand alone dive computer.

Also for day time the C0 isn't too bad legibility wise. The orange depth indicator function hand is really bright and fluorescent and while not as bright as Lumibrite, Citizen has got some really strong lume.

It was always meant as a back up device in case your actual DC failed, and from what I have heard from customers that use them quite regularly for dives is that they are very accurate and dependable if used properly. Also, Dive computers themselves weren't all that great back in the late 70's and were prone to bouts of failure and malfunctions, so while it may be archaic and silly now, back in the day it wasn't really that far behind the DC's of the time and a pretty stunning piece of tech.

I'm not planning on diving with the watches btw, i'm just a stickler for the functions all working the way they should on a watch this cool ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts