The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in Japan recently I found this Seiko Kinetic for sale in a second hand store.

It was part of a series of models that were released in coordination with the then World Free-diving Champion Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras. There was a higher end Scubamaster model, that I know some forum members have, a LE orange Cayman Scubamaster (1000 pieces) as well as black, grey, blue, orange and white versions of this model.

On May 31st 1997 Pipin broke the world record for a no limits free dive when he reached a depth of 152.5 meters (500ft).

Around this time there was much competition in the free-diving community and Pipin is know for his rivalry with Umberto Pelizzari. This rivalry is documented in the documentary Ocean Men: Extreme Dive.

The watch I acquired is is the SBBW069 that was released in 1998 and had an original price of 60,000 yen.

The watch has a signed clasp and quite unique bracelet design.

The back has a stylized dolphin logo that Pipin was well know for practising diving with.

Also supplied with the watch was the original hang tag and a metal card with a quote from Pipin.

The back of the metal card is reflective, so I am not sure if it was designed as a signal mirror or if it had another purpose.

I first picked up a black version of this model a few years ago before I was even aware of the Pipin connection. This was my first Kinetic watch.

The Pipin models are a very 90's unique design but I do like them and the bracelet is extremely comfortable. One day I would love to find a nice example of either of the Scubamaster models so I will continue to keep an eye out for them.

On a related note there were also a series of Seiko diver models that were released in coordination Pipin's wife Audrey Mestre who was also a World Champion Free-diver. They were married from 1999 until there tragic death under controversial circumstances in 2002. Seiko began their sponsorship of Audrey in 1999 and they released a number of models under the Jewel Fish line that were targeted towards women.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yellow version for completeness. These watches seem less popular than the fancy version and I do not think everyone is aware of the Pipin branding as it is not usually advertised as such. Unfortunately, my watch did not come with the cool mirror card. I wonder if the blue version was the only limited edition that had the card.

- martin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting post and great looking watches!

A question though - on the left side of the case there's a blob of steel protruding ... does it have a function or is it purely a design thing?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh.

... yes it does once you know it! Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seems to be a very cool time capsule box. So much history and stories behind a great looking timepiece, especially that yellow one.

Me: "WRUW while drinking?"
Quotron: "If I do it right.... nothing."

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, my watch did not come with the cool mirror card. I wonder if the blue version was the only limited edition that had the card.
Martin, this is the first time I have seen the card so I am hoping that some other member might have some more information on it.

Barry, those Scubamasters are great and I love both the Cayman and regular versions. It is impressive to see that many Caymans in one shot.

Hopefully one day one will turn up at the right price for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts