The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temporarily borrowed this for the purpose of taking a few close-up photos. Really wanted to examine Jack's (IWW) fantastic work on an iconic Seiko. Not many of these have I seen in the wild. The result (reversible as I read) isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's quite unique.

44mm without crown. 15mm thick. 210g heavy. 50mm lug to lug. Slightly larger and thicker than a SKX007. Smaller than a Sumo both in case diameter (44mm vs 44.5mm) and lug-to-lug height (50mm vs 52mm).

Bead Blasted Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 MM300

·
Registered
547 Posts
It looks like Jack has done beautiful work. Pardon me for saying this, though - I can't help but think it's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Even if it's a mustache that's drawn exceptionally well, I still wouldn't do that to the Mona Lisa. ???

·
Registered
431 Posts
TakesALickin said:
It looks like Jack has done beautiful work. Pardon me for saying this, though - I can't help but think it's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Even if it's a mustache that's drawn exceptionally well, I still wouldn't do that to the Mona Lisa. ???
Totally Agree with you Jeff!! Although it is a well done job. :-[ I think it is sacreligious to do this to the MM300. IMO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Watcholic- You're a Beast! Bravo for having the marbles to experiment with a 2500 dollar watch. I bought mine used, and I will get clobbered for this, but the MM300 is sort of a safe Queen for most of us I guesstimate. I take mine off to do the dishes... It's sort of too nice sometimes. In a whacky way I think the beadblast probablly makes it less of a shiny queen and a bit more tough. :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Fantastic pics, and the work done on the watch looks very nice! O0

Having said that, anybody who blasts a MM either has way too much money on their hands, or they're just plain crazy.

P.S. I think the Sumo is 52mm lug-to-lug rather than the 55mm mentioned in the OP.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Crazy or not, and not for everybody, its cool as long as you like it. :)
Enjoy that beautiful watch. Since my first hands on a few weeks ago, its climbing up the list of grails for me.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Heck I like it! I hope someone at Seiko is looking and maybe this will be an option. To me shiny and "tool watch" just don't mix. Cheers-Ronbo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Love it, if I had the 300mm I would leave it stock but you either own a watch or your holding a watch for a future owner. I

prefer to own.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UpstandingCitizen said:
Fantastic pics, and the work done on the watch looks very nice! O0
P.S. I think the Sumo is 52mm lug-to-lug rather than the 55mm mentioned in the OP.
Nice catch. The Sumo's lug-to-lug is 52mm. Updated OP.

Thanks for all the comments. Really appreciate it. The primary goal was to have a close-up look at the bead-blasted finish that's rarely seen on this watch and share the resultant photos with the group. Hope some of you like it or, at least, find it interesting.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I like it as much as I like the polished original. Wow - that gives me a reason to save up for TWO!

Do you have any idea how the bead blasted surface holds up to scratching and dirt retention?

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's really quite nice - I've got my own SBDX001 en route, due to arrive next week and looking forward to introducing it to its Seiko brothers and sisters - but not brave enough to get it customised too quickly! Jack blasted a SKX007 for me a couple of years back, fitted new dial, hands etc. He's a great craftsman, and it was well worth sending the watch across the Atlantic for the work.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Great looking mod of an awesome watch. I should know as my MM has the same mod.
I actually bought mine already in it's blasted condition. I have always suspected that the blasting
work was done by Jack. Now your pics confirmed this.

I am sure there are many out there who don't approve of the mod. But from my own personal experience, I have had both the blasted
and the original finish MM at one point (yup I love the MM :) )
But when I needed the funds the original finish MM was the one flipped. I personally prefer the blasted version myself.
Will post pics later. But if you search the scwf archives you will definitely find my earlier post comparing the two.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Harry said:
Do you have any idea how the bead blasted surface holds up to scratching and dirt retention?
It holds up better than polished and brushed finishes in normal desk diving. And you won't notice that speck of dust as you would on the original finishes. It's also easy to clean up with a wet paper towel or cloth, no need for polishing cloth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts