The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a case blasted and I'm liking the finish but do I need to do anything to stop staining from skin oils etc? The finish is actually looks alot finer in tea life

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying things out seeing what works and what doesn't this was good old fashioned sand :). Its a windows mobile even worse

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've experimented with certain media

The closest to OEM finish I've found as a budget, is brick mortar found at places like B&Q (other DIY chains are also available!!).

Watch head taken apart and media blasted with brick mortar.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That does look like very coarse media was used to blast the case,the sort of stuff you normally would use for removing paint and rust :eek: I much prefer the finish that you get from glass bead blasting. :undecided:

·
Administrator
30,134 Posts
Mike/Twickersdude does a quality bead blasting job, as i said i'm not keen on this type of finish but he does a few different finishes and one is a fine Satin type finish which imo looked really good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a coarse ali oxide finish so it'll wear a lot faster than a glass bead finish. The back will certainly start to degrade and will appear greasy after a short while.....when it gets too bad just reblast it....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why not try it like this first? I think it's got a very cool "stealth-look"! I can't really see whether it's an SKX007, but with a black dial and perhaps a domed sapphire, I'll bet it will look smashing!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wear it until it starts to look worn then change it to a glass bead finish which should last a lot longer.......the coarse finish is a good way of losing blemishes...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi!

Only done glass blasting though, but never needed any protection yet ... one SKX and one 6309. Both regularly worn for a couple of years. IMO the 6309 case looks pretty good when blasted, and since I had one with a franken case back ...

(and the insert is chosen for the orange numbers that matches the hands. Sorry purists ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts