The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A brief personal history; dad always had a "Seiko 5" watche and just raved about it. In later years, thanks to a pricing error at Service Merchandise he scored a gold Seiko Kinetic which just looked so rich and eye catching... and also quite '90s. Fast forward a few years and that poor watch was stolen, replaced with a gold "Seiko 5" whose finish didn't last and finally replaced with yet another stainless "Seiko 5" which remains in service. The old man will probably never have a watch that isn't a Seiko Automatic.

Sometime in the midst of all of this, he got me a Seiko Kinetic (5M62-0de8), I return the favor by getting him a Seiko Railroad Pocket watch (last model, no second setting) and, more recently a "Seiko 5 Divers Watch". That last one is quite heavy and robust, and just looks too good for money. The Seiko Kinetic would be my only watch for many years, accompanying me everywhere and undergoing heavy field abuse, it remains in service with countless scratches, scuffs and a cracked crystal.

Behind the Seikos, my folks also had gold Citizen quartz dress watches, so I continued the theme with a Citizen Ecodrive for mom. Although its a ladies watch, she thinks its huge and calls it "Big Ben"...

I also bought a ladies Seiko Solar for whom I thought to be a special someone but was most certainly not...anymore... LOL... :banghead:

Yesterday! I refitted the Seiko Kinetic, in it's field beaten condition with a Super Jubilee watch band and its just so much fun to wear again. Wow! A SSA231K1 should be coming my way soon, hopefully its a good match for my very narrow wrists.

That's how it all starts; I'm probably going to fulfill a long standing hunger for the Seiko Cocktail Time (now Presage) soon and refit it with a black jubilee band if I can find one. Are the black finishes durable on these bands?

If the money is good in a few years; I'm looking at you, G.S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Service Merchandise - blast from the past ! Waiting to spy your box coming down the conveyor belt.

Welcome to SCWF

Yes, I'm just old enough to remember the waning days of the ultimate catalogue store. ha!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! T - 6 days for my new Automatic. Might order a second Angus Jubilee for it instead of switching my Kinetic back to the stock bracelet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Placed my order for the basic Presage Cocktail Time, got a good deal, too bad its not the SARB065 but its going to be great with the black super jubilee.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy your Cocktail Time Love the Light Blue Dial, Good friend loved it so Its it became his Dress watch.Good Luck with your Sourcing a Beautiful Grand Seiko. I have Vintage GS 1968 to 1971 And someday perhaps the New Elegant Blue SD GS. Russell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My first crack at photographing it, I'll be back with something better.

I LOVE this watch! Its so easy to read, so dynamic yet classy at the same time. Shows its blue only in the right conditions, such as from the driver's seat of my seldom driven 2-seater. Such a special design, can't believe that it was only $360 after the addition of the black jubilee band.

Thanks for the comments and photos, this is a really nice community! Maybe an Atlanta meet sometime?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Fantastic Pictures Such a Beautiful Dial Pogsters Two pics also a Treat. Russell

My first crack at photographing it, I'll be back with something better.

I LOVE this watch! Its so easy to read, so dynamic yet classy at the same time. Shows its blue only in the right conditions, such as from the driver's seat of my seldom driven 2-seater. Such a special design, can't believe that it was only $360 after the addition of the black jubilee band.

Thanks for the comments and photos, this is a really nice community! Maybe an Atlanta meet sometime?

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Great Story Great Introduction And Welcome Sir.
This is how it should be done Joining any Forum in my opinion.
Well Done and Enjoy your Stay😜🙈it’s gonna Cost you😂👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seiko Presage Cocktail Hour..... wearing and witnessing this watch is a triumphant experience in itself, showing it's elusive blue only under the right lighting conditions, is always a treat. Wish I had my camera and macro lens this morning! So tasteful, restrained and utterly timeless. It is a jewel without any jewels on display. No watch costing less than $750 let alone the $230 I scored if for has any business looking this good. It's play on light gives the second hand action unexpected authority and the remaining hands sharp readability.

Wow, just wow.

I've placed an order for another one, looking forward to refitting it with a super jubilee and getting that macro lens at them both.

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts