The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All , I want to share how I repaint my diver bezel indexes . First I clean the bezel in my ultra sonic cleaner , but you could probably use alcohol or acetone to clean it . Then I apply a Ladies nail enamel to the indexes..it dries hard and fast . The one I use cost $0.99 . You can re-apply if needed .
I use a plastic card to scrape off the enamel I don't want and it leaves the enamel in the indexes . You could probably use colored enamels also , Red , Blue , etc.. I have found that the plastic card burnishes/polishes the bezel with no scratches .
Works for me and I hope it works for you ........Aloha , Louis

Bezel Technique #1.JPG

Bezel Technique #2.JPG

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Like the posting very much Louis.
It gives a lot of information too about doing them
and will be helpful to others too.
That's one way of doing it, and it is cheap too,
and economical.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up on the bezel work in progress..I let it sit too long before I started scraping so it was really hard. I gave it a quick dab with nail polish remover[acetone] on a cloth , and it still left the enamel in the index markers . I will continue with a touch up tomorrow and post a pic

Louis

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ok that's so much easier. I have bought a thin brush (used for calligraphy) and a poster paint in preparation for painting my sbnn007's bezel. I think i'm scraping the idea and going with this.

Thanks for the tip and can't wait to see the outcome Sir :)

John

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did something very similar with my one button chrono. Cleaned the bezel in the ultrasonic cleaner, then used gloss model enamel paint on a small modellers paint brush. When it was nearly dry I wrapped a cloth around a flat screwdriver blade and dampened it with thinners and wiped off the excess paint. The finished bezel has made the watch look good again!

Before...

And after...

·
Special Member
26,482 Posts
I did something very similar with my one button chrono. Cleaned the bezel in the ultrasonic cleaner, then used gloss model enamel paint on a small modellers paint brush. When it was nearly dry I wrapped a cloth around a flat screwdriver blade and dampened it with thinners and wiped off the excess paint. The finished bezel has made the watch look good again!

Before...

And after...

That is a Beautiful Watch...Jealous ;)

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
wow, that's a lot of work for that. a rolex service technician told a good buddy of mine to do this as this is what they do (no joke and it works -I've tried it).

for example on a rolex 1655 orange hand McQueen, take a sharpie, color in over the areas of the bezel missing paint. let it semi dry and take a rag and wipe the marker away from the top portion of the bezel. looks brand new...

you laugh, but try it before you pass judgement. =)

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished Project...

After two coats I finished the Bezel on my Zodiac Sea Wolf...It came out about as clean as I could get owing to the fact that the bezel is a bit worn and brassing . I found out how hard the Ladies nail polish is and how good the nail polish remover works !! The bezel on the Glycine Airman is in better shape so the finish is a bit cleaner. BTW , both watches are 1960's Vietnam era watches..The Airman has a 24 Hour dial and a unique hacking feature....pull out the crown and a very thin wire comes out just above the 12 O'clock to stop the second hand . When watches are synchronized, push the crown back in and it starts ticking again .
All in all , a small touch like bezel re-touching brings out the original beauty of a watch as demonstrated by ECCLES very nice one button Seiko Chronograph .

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
This process works very very well. But....instead of using nail polish, I used Testors semi gloss enamel paint. It costs $1.79 per bottle. I used some fine tip disposable applicators to apply the paint. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and scrape the excess off with an old credit card/rewards card as suggested.

Wowza!! I am very happy with the finished look. This is a great thread! Sorry I don't have a "before" photo but most of the paint was missing on the numbers mainly.

Thanks folks! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's nice to be able to refinish the metal embossed bezels,,,that and adding a new crystal puts the "Pazazz" back into the watch..............and makes it run better

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The bezel on this 7123 Sport was pretty rough but the rest of the watch was nice. There was no paint at all left on the bezel. It was even more difficult because of the design where it has the two recessed areas and the edge of the bezel is a crown shape. After the repaint I went over the top of the bezel with a very fine grit sandpaper because it did not look right polished. I used Tamiya brand acrylic paint semi-gloss black for the color. Believe it or not acrylic paints are more durable than enamels and you don't have to deal with the nasty fumes from acetone based or oil based paints. Plus for clean up all you need is water.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here's a couple before and after shots I did on two Aqualand's a while back. I re-did the red/yellow/black to blue/black. I like to "machine" the paint off after the repaint leaving the paint in the reliefs and replace the scratches with close to original tool marks. I'm getting better at it and have a couple more to do. I'll try more colors, but the black always looks good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts