The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use one of these to remove bezels ? Let's hear your experience with this type of tool.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Not used one myself but it looks like a good bit of kit, it would apply even lifting pressure at 4 points instead of one when just using a bladed tool.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sharpened credit card - works 99% of the time for me. Cost = zilch.

No metal to metal contact. No damage
I've had good luck with plastic cards, too. I start with the safest approach and progress to more "dangerous" methids as necessary. I think the tool shown by the OP is the next-least-dangerous after the plastic card.

Myles

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
The original tool you show is modeled after Rolex's 1009 tool, which is used to remove non-rotating bezels from their oyster cases (they friction around either the acrylic crystal if a vintage model, or a tall crystal gasket if a sapphire one, holding the crystal/gasket onto the crystal seat inside). Entirely different type of friction involved, and they make different tools to remove their rotating bezels. I'd not recommend using that type of tool for removing rotating bezels on pretty much any brand, as it is a very controlled way to leave marks and possibly distort the bezel or the case. It's just not meant for that specific task.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sharpened credit card - works 99% of the time for me. Cost = zilch.

No metal to metal contact. No damage
Thank you my friend! I so want to take the bezel off my SSC015 solar diver chrono in fear of putting a dent in the the bezel or case.

I am going to try a sharpened credit card and see how that works!

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
OP know that removing the rotating bezel off a Rolex Submariner is quite easy.

Follow the procedure in the link by bry1975 and you'll be golden. It's straightforward and easy.

BTW, the OP of the link, padi56, is among the most knowledgable posters and a super moderator over on TRF. When he speaks, folks listen.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Absolutey Free!

Thomas, I tried all of the Supply Houses and Everyone is sold out, Now what ?:cool:

As a long-standing SCWF member? :grin:

I can deliver one, ABSOLUTELY FREE*, NO OBLIGATION, NO SALESMAN WILL CALL! ;)

- Thomas

* Non-refundable, US$20 shipping and handling charge. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ouch!

Really, I thought I had heard that you were more of a spork guy?

Okay, I probably deserve that!

But this high tech tool actually works well. I hold the spoon blade close to the edge for support and slip its edge (near the front but slightly to the side) between the bezel and case. It's thin enough to get in and slippery enough to keep going until the bezel gets a little raised up. I then move counter-clockwise and the bezel comes right off! :whoo:

- Thomas

·
Registered
9 Posts
@TheTigerUK
i used one of these but it left scratches on my case... maybe i was using it wrong. how can i fix the case now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts