The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have cleaned so many watch parts over the years but never had occasion to clean Titanium...
Is there anything I should know about?
Any precautions I need to worry about?
Can I clean them like I have cleaned stainless?
I plan on using my ultrasonic cleaner to clean all the hard to clean stuff like the band and case...they all need a really good deep cleaning
I have used white vinegar in the past with excellent results but I remember others here telling me I should not use it but can not remember what they suggested ...
Any help will deeply be appreciated
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Mild dish soap and a light scrub with a soft brush, can't scrub it like stainless though, easy with it, pat dry with a clean cloth. The metal is lighter and stronger, but the finish is a lot more delicate.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thank u my friend
Can I still deep clean it in a ultrasonic?
Band is very dirty and needs a deep clean to remove all the DNA from tears
I have also heard boiling might work for a deep cleaning but never tried it
God Bless,John

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Well thank u my friend
Can I still deep clean it in a ultrasonic?
Band is very dirty and needs a deep clean to remove all the DNA from tears
I have also heard boiling might work for a deep cleaning but never tried it
God Bless,John

I probably wouldn't as the vibration rubs metal on metal, really doesn't harm SS, not sure about titanium. I'd stick with a good soak and gentle brush cleaning.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that explains why most of the titanium watches I have ever seen seem to be a little dirty
I am sure they are worried about this
Thank u my friend
I did not realize it was not as robust as stainless
God Bless,John
I can always soak it in hot soapy water to loosen up any hidden crud and use compressed air to blow out anything that is in there

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What’s the finish on it now? Brushed? Blasted? Polished? If it’s brushed and putting it through the ultrasonic causes it to polish up in spots where it rubs you can probably get the dull brushed finish back with a green scotchbrite pad. I’ve used them on the brushed finish on titanium bicycle frames to restore the finish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
What’s the finish on it now? Brushed? Blasted? Polished? If it’s brushed and putting it through the ultrasonic causes it to polish up in spots where it rubs you can probably get the dull brushed finish back with a green scotchbrite pad. I’ve used them on the brushed finish on titanium bicycle frames to restore the finish

Agree with the above posts - be gentle ;-)
Often they're plated and if part of that comes off it looks bad.

I've always wanted a Ti frame and nearly got a Lynskie on Wiggle last year(really good deals).

What have you had?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've always wanted a Ti frame and nearly got a Lynskie on Wiggle last year(really good deals).

What have you had?

I’ve currently got a couple Chinese made Ti frames, a 29er and a 27.5. They’re not too bad actually, even under my large body. Prior to that I had a Lynskey era Litespeed made McMahon from about 94, and my wife currently has a vintage 92 Litespeed Mountain. Plus, when I managed a shop we sold loads of Litespeed and Merlin. So, had my hands on a bunch of Ti over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well so sorry for the super long delay....
everything go in front of this thread
well it is this watch
see what u all think
i am very cautious about screwing it up
God Bless,John

·
Registered
154 Posts
John,
Have heard others say that ultrasonic cleaning could cause microscratches on titanium(ti being a softer material than stainless steel) hence me never putting the watch into a ultrasonic cleaner and only giving it a cursory wipedown with a slightly moist microfiber cloth.

In terms of cleaning titanium, though I don't have much experience with it, I'd think soaking in hot water to dislodge any dirt and giving it a brush cleaning would be a safer choice.

Sent from my Oppo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,
Have heard others say that ultrasonic cleaning could cause microscratches on titanium(ti being a softer material than stainless steel) hence me never putting the watch into a ultrasonic cleaner and only giving it a cursory wipedown with a slightly moist microfiber cloth.

In terms of cleaning titanium, though I don't have much experience with it, I'd think soaking in hot water to dislodge any dirt and giving it a brush cleaning would be a safer choice.

Hey that is exactly what is thought too
I am told to be super careful

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John,

Hot water soak maybe perfect idea to get that hard to reach stuff
Thank you again my friend
God Bless,John

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just finished restoring an older Citizen Titanium Skyhawk with the C650 Eco drive movement, different brand name, but same titanium with the satin finish. As has been stated, just warm/hot water, dish soap, and a toothbrush for the big stuff. Soapy water isn't going to harm titanium, but if you want to f%%k it up, use a Artifex wheel on it. Titanium doesn't take well to any abrasive wheels, at least that has been my experience. What does make it look brand new again is a Bergeon satin finish wheel. A little before and after. Works miracles on the bracelet.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Impressive work
Thank you for sharing it with us
Truly appreciate it
God Bless,John

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
well so sorry for the super long delay....
everything go in front of this thread
well it is this watch
see what u all think
i am very cautious about screwing it up
God Bless,John
Lovely looking watch there John. Doesn't look like it needs too much cleaning

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lovely looking watch there John. Doesn't look like it needs too much cleaning
Well the clasp my friend i am told is sticky and not working correctly