The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Special Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I/m seeking advice on the best way to gently clean an old 7005- dial.

It has what appears to be "dirt" around the hour markers, but I doubt it really is dirt because the crystal is intact and the movement is 100% clean. I suspect this is just age-related discoloration.

Rodico doesn't seem to take it up although it did a great job on the hour markers themselves.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated ! TIA

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
i use a qtip and a little invisible glass cleaner..that does not seem to hurt much...but less is more for sure on a dial...i cleaned my whole H601 dial that way...turned out well

·
Administrator
30,659 Posts
Has an experiment I washed one in lighter fuel without any problems and it dident damage the dial but I 100000000000% do not recommend doing this, as i say it was just an experiment :)

·
Special Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has an experiment I washed one in lighter fuel without any problems and it dident damage the dial but I 100000000000% do not recommend doing this, as i say it was just an experiment :)
Wow, thanks. Since my standard Veraet Watch Spray and Q-Tip regimen didn't work, I might just resort to this approach. Seems like a very interesting approach indeed. I have some old train wreck dials to play with first.

Any others with lighter fluid experience on dials? Obviously quite the norm for gunked up mechanical parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
Any others with lighter fluid experience on dials? Obviously quite the norm for gunked up mechanical parts.
You might be crying the blues if you try that with a lacquered dial (and the long-term effects on various luminous compounds is questionable at best). Shame on Tiger for showing such a picture, which through the transmogrification that is bound to happen on the internet, will lead some one to ruin a perfectly good, honestly-aged dial. He knows he needs to give himself a 7-day ban now... ;-)

·
Administrator
30,659 Posts
You might be crying the blues if you try that with a lacquered dial (and the long-term effects on various luminous compounds is questionable at best). Shame on Tiger for showing such a picture, which through the transmogrification that is bound to happen on the internet, will lead some one to ruin a perfectly good, honestly-aged dial. He knows he needs to give himself a 7-day ban now... ;-)
I remember when I first posted this sometime back you gave me a reprimand Noah :( LoL but I did say I 10000000000000000000000% don't recommend doing it ha ha

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Do you have a cleaning product called CIF in the states? I use that on a q-tip to clean very delicate antique clock dials. I was told white spirit was good but I found smears horribly. CIF is better and doesn't contain salt like washing up liquid. It cuts through grease too and has a very slight abrasive which doesn't effect the dials shine if you go carefully. Tried it on one of my Pogue dials and it came up like brand new! Only thing to be aware of is if you catch the raise Seiko with a q-tip it will either end up with annoying little white hairs on it or it'll rip the word Seiko off the dial :eek:

·
Administrator
30,659 Posts
Do you have a cleaning product called CIF in the states? I use that on a q-tip to clean very delicate antique clock dials. I was told white spirit was good but I found smears horribly. CIF is better and doesn't contain salt like washing up liquid. It cuts through grease too and has a very slight abrasive which doesn't effect the dials shine if you go carefully. Tried it on one of my Pogue dials and it came up like brand new! Only thing to be aware of is if you catch the raise Seiko with a q-tip it will either end up with annoying little white hairs on it or it'll rip the word Seiko off the dial :eek:
There are a few CIF products I believe, which do you use/recommend ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wow, thanks. Since my standard Veraet Watch Spray and Q-Tip regimen didn't work, I might just resort to this approach. Seems like a very interesting approach indeed. I have some old train wreck dials to play with first.

This is my preferred method and I've learned that if this doesn't work, it's likely there for good. The finishes on these dials are mysterious and honestly, who knows what they were using when they painted them?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There are a few CIF products I believe, which do you use/recommend ?
It's the one we use to call Jif for cleaning sinks. I'm actually out as I restored a couple of clock dials this week and cleaned the bathroom but it's this one:

or for Japanese watches this one:

:rolleyes:

·
Special Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the one we use to call Jif for cleaning sinks. I'm actually out as I restored a couple of clock dials this week and cleaned the bathroom but it's this one

Classic !
Thank you we do not have CIF but we have plenty of similar products.

·
Craftsman
3,713 Posts
What a sales Pitch!

Cleans anything from watches, to toilets, to the bathroom sink..........;)

It's the one we use to call Jif for cleaning sinks. I'm actually out as I restored a couple of clock dials this week and cleaned the bathroom but it's this one:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dial Cleaning

I have heard that aircraft jet fuel or parafin is non reactive and gives good results but have never tried it due to hazard of attempting to syphon jet fuel from a jumbo jet ...

seriously though, along with cotton buds it is meant to be the best product for cleaning dials !

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
a small area of big ben is big! everything is relative.
I've seen bigger! I done some work on the clock in St Stephens tower a few years ago. Not touched the bell though ;) although I do order bells off the company that made Big Ben. They are still going and making bells the old fashion way.

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
I worked on all the clock faces (from inside!) about 30 years ago. It was a climb up to the top with all my equipment, every day for over three weeks I had to do that. They've renamed it the Elizabeth Tower now. I've worked at Whitechapel Bell Foundry around about the same era too, hanging up on the wall in the foundry they still had the original wooden former that they made the casting box for big ben from.

I have a feeling there's going to be a few damaged dials after this thread! :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I worked on all the clock faces (from inside!) about 30 years ago. It was a climb up to the top with all my equipment, every day for over three weeks I had to do that. They've renamed it the Elizabeth Tower now. I've worked at Whitechapel Bell Foundry around about the same era too, hanging up on the wall in the foundry they still had the original wooden former that they made the casting box for big ben from.

I have a feeling there's going to be a few damaged dials after this thread! :)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry make all the bells for me :) Great bunch and lovely to watch them at work using the old techniques. The also made the Liberty Bell. They actually got a letter a few years ago from America asking for a refund as the Liberty Bell has a large crack. Whitechapel replied we are happy to issue you with a full refund if you send the bell back to us with it's original packaging :)

Clock games dead now. Too many fakers and cowboys. I'm looking to get out and go work back in sales. Use to love my job but watch thief's selling clocks on ebay that are made up out of old crap and they get twice what I ask for a genuine clock where I guarantee it to be so or they get a full refund and to keep the clock. Makes me sad. A lot of stupid people out there so it would seem. Your lucky to be out of it!

The secret to a successful watch dial clean is DON'T TOUCH IT UNLESS YOUR 100% SURE YOU CAN LIVE WITHOUT IT! or give it to a professional to restore if you can't :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts