The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to ease my way into watchmaking and I figured that modding an SKX would be the safest/most fun way to start. Problem is I had no idea that the watch on its own would be so expensive, on top of the cost of the actual mods and watchmaking equipment.

What's the best way to get my hands on an SKX007 without paying list price? Should I just lurk around Our Favorite Auction Site™ and hope I luck out?

·
Special Member
1,349 Posts
Try typing in watchrecon in your search bar and cruise around on their pages for awhile.. sometimes an Skx pops up.. I bought a nib Skx for right about $175 shipped a few months back.

Occasionally, you'll see modded Skx for not too much and you can buy one and mod it again.

If you're just planning to mod or send off to John for a tst, I suppose you could just buy one of the new Crystaltimes replacement Skx cases..then send that off and source the other needed parts while your case is being machined.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I'd recommend buying a cheap as chips 7s26 Seiko 5 and practice on it to your heart's content, then when you are ready to mod- you won't break/scratch/ruin any expensive bits!! Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try typing in watchrecon in your search bar and cruise around on their pages for awhile.. sometimes an Skx pops up.. I bought a nib Skx for right about $175 shipped a few months back.

Occasionally, you'll see modded Skx for not too much and you can buy one and mod it again.

If you're just planning to mod or send off to John for a tst, I suppose you could just buy one of the new Crystaltimes replacement Skx cases..then send that off and source the other needed parts while your case is being machined.

Best,

Mike
Not opposed to that certainly, but I'm a bit concerned about making sure that I pick up all of the necessary components. Do you know somewhere I could find a full list of every part needed in a custom modded SKX007 (ie movement, movement ring, hands, crystal, etc.)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts