The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a bit of a GMT freak. I love the feature, but other than the MM600 I owned in June, I haven't really delved Into seiko GMT.

Which is your favourite, and is there a mid/ low end Gmt that you like and would Reccommend.

Pictures speak a thousand words. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why do they call these "GMT watches"? Yes there's a 24 hr hand, but it doesn't show GMT, Zulu or Coordinated Universal Time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why do they call these "GMT watches"? Yes there's a 24 hr hand, but it doesn't show GMT, Zulu or Coordinated Universal Time.
There are two types of GMT Watches. Type A is where a module is added to the movement and in that case the GMT hand is set independently so when you travel you quick set that hand. The other type is a true GMT Watch where the feature is integrated with the mvmt so when you travel you set the GMT hand to GMT (where it always stays) and you quickset the hour hand as you cross timezones.(of course you can set the GMT hand to hometime or some other reference but changing the GMT hand in that type of watch is a pain since you have to stop the watch to do it) With a true GMT the watch doesn't stop as you reset the hour hand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are two types of GMT Watches. Type A is where a module is added to the movement and in that case the GMT hand is set independently so when you travel you quick set that hand. The other type is a true GMT Watch where the feature is integrated with the mvmt so when you travel you set the GMT hand to GMT (where it always stays) and you quickset the hour hand as you cross timezones.(of course you can set the GMT hand to hometime or some other reference but changing the GMT hand in that type of watch is a pain since you have to stop the watch to do it) With a true GMT the watch doesn't stop as you reset the hour hand.
Thanks for explaining that Nelson. I didn't know the extra hour hand could actually be set differently. I have a Seiko World Time (1968) where that extra hand just shows the 24 hour time geared to the 12 hour movement.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Best is subjective. I'll have to go with my favorite of those that I actually own (my other is a 6117-6410).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The Green high beat GMT is my favorite, but for the ultimate Seiko GMT - it's got to be the even-more-limited white gold 'Special' SBGJ007:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Here are a couple of my current favourites.

A GS 9S56-00B0. This was actually the first Seiko I purchased a few years ago when I decided I should get a watch for the first time in many years.

and a Miura LandMaster LE my first Spring Drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wear a Navigator, and when my mother-in-law was in the South Pacific, I rotated the bezel to show her time.
I like this better then the world time, to check up on another time zone you have to rotate the city bezel to your city, then look around the dial for the time zone you want to know the time in. In an hour if you want to know again (and forgot) you have to turn the bezel again to your current time, then look again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some great photos guys. This land masters look amazing!

There is also a third style of Gmt. Which is of course that used by omega in the flightmaster. Essentially another 12 hour hand which can be adjusted manually anytime.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts