The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone had a great start to the year.

If the Grand Seiko SBGA031 is the most expensive Seiko Diver then is it the best Seiko Diver?

If you agree or disagree would love to read your thoughts and lots of pictures are welcome :)

S

·
Ultimate Collector
3,276 Posts
I have an SBGA031 and an MM300. It's difficult to say which is the best watch as they are so different. I am sure the MM300 must be the best diver, but the SBGA031 is my favourite modern Seiko.

Here's mine:

·
Special Member
2,028 Posts
hrrrmmm, i'll take a 6309/6306 over one of these any day =) I've held one of these spring drives in my hand and had it on my wrist for a bit. they are nice, but if I was go have a spring drive, I'd go for the SBGE001.

<* shark >>><

·
Ultimate Collector
3,276 Posts
hrrrmmm, i'll take a 6309/6306 over one of these any day =) I've held one of these spring drives in my hand and had it on my wrist for a bit. they are nice, but if I was go have a spring drive, I'd go for the SBGE001.

<* shark >>><
I sold my SBGE001, it was a great watch but at over 200g was very heavy in my wrist. The SBGA029 is even heavier, so Titanium is the way to go. SBGA031 is a great watch.

Aside from the modern Seiko's I also have several, 6105, 6306, and 6309, I like them all for different reasons.

·
Registered
SEIKO 6105-8110 150m Diver PROOF
1,093 Posts
The SBGA031 is nice watch but will be better if Seiko can make the clasp thinner and nicer finishing.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My favorite is Seiko's first professional diver, the 6215-7000:

... but I love all the vintage Seiko divers (6217/6159/6105-800x/6105-811x/630x/7549-7010).

Of the modern Seiko divers, the SBDX003 is my favorite - a little tall/heavy like the MM300, but a nice homage to the 6215/6159:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My favourite Seiko ;)
The spacewalk is killer, but at 10bar/100M not sure if I'd call it a diver :)

There was one on YJ last year or the year before that kept getting relisted, ticking down from 2.5 to below 1.3million jpy before selling.
If the yen had tanked sooner I might have had one more watch (but maybe one less wife).

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
My favorite is Seiko's first professional diver, the 6215-7000:

... but I love all the vintage Seiko divers (6217/6159/6105-800x/6105-811x/630x/7549-7010).

Of the modern Seiko divers, the SBDX003 is my favorite - a little tall/heavy like the MM300, but a nice homage to the 6215/6159:
wow...i would love to have just one of them...they are all incredible

·
Registered
38 Posts
My vote also goes to the 6215, grandfather of the MM300.

Probably not the best in term of technical specs today, but a high performance high tech watch in its time, and a beauty to contemplate and pleasure to own today.

I personally don't fancy the GS SD Diver, too much of a statement watch. And I have serious concerns about the viability of SD movements 40 years from now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. James Dowling aka Mr. Rolex visited Seiko recently and had a Q&A session with the top management. One of the questions was:

TZ: As you see, I enjoy collecting vintage GS (in the 60s’and 70s’) but found that it is difficult to service these as Seiko repair centres do not keep such parts for repair nor go out of its way to fabricate needed parts. I understand many brands have similar limitations but I do really like to know what is Seiko commitment to service its GS line of watches, especially the SD before I would consider keeping the modern GS.

Seiko: On the wall outside the Micro-Artist Studio in the Seiko facility in Shiojiri is a framed statement of the Studio’s philosophy. It contains the phrases: “Reliable to wear until grandchildren” and “long term satisfaction”. These ideas apply to Grand Seiko, just as they do to the Credor and other watches that the Shiojiri facility manufactures. For all Grand Seiko watches, we retain inventories for projected use decades ahead, so the serviceability period can be as long as possible. This applies to all Grand Seiko movement types, including Spring Drive.

So that should address your concerns about the viability of the SD.

Pic and Q&A Credit: Mr. James Dowling, Timezone

My vote also goes to the 6215, grandfather of the MM300.

Probably not the best in term of technical specs today, but a high performance high tech watch in its time, and a beauty to contemplate and pleasure to own today.

I personally don't fancy the GS SD Diver, too much of a statement watch. And I have serious concerns about the viability of SD movements 40 years from now.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Other than the more exotic (read crazy expensive) pieces, I have owned practically every diver Seiko made from 1965 through 1990 (the only period that matters IMHO :) ) From all I have owned, the watch I wore the most was the 6105-811X's that I had.

Just to make me sad, these were my two favorites, the one on the left just edging out the one on the right...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts